1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove the basic rule's of Poisson's Brackets?

1. Oct 17, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that:
    (i){pi,pj}=0
    (ii){qi,qj}=0
    (iii){qi,pj}=δij

2. Relevant equations

{x,Y} = [(∂x/∂q * ∂Y/∂p) - (∂Y/∂q * ∂x/∂p)]

3. The attempt at a solution

Right I know first of all that qij and pij are generalized coordinates so that we dont need to worry about what units etc the answers are in.

I know that if the Poisson Bracket is equal to zero then the point you have used it on is a conserved quantity.

I think (i) and (ii) are ok but stuck on what to do on (iii). I have a feeling it has something to do with the Levi Civita Tensor as that is the last place I came across Kronecker Delta.

(i/ii){qi,qj} = [(∂qi/∂q)*(∂qj/∂p) - (∂qj/∂q)*(∂qi/∂p)]

The ∂qi/∂p and the ∂qj/∂p on either side are just '0' I think as it is a partial derivative of a q component with respect to p and it does not have any p component so QED 0 - 0 = 0

And that would be basically the same solution for parts (i) and (ii). Now...

(iii) {qi,pj} = [(∂qi/∂q) * (∂pj/∂p) - (∂pj/∂q)*(∂qi/∂p)]

Last part is equal to zero for same reasons as part (i) and (ii) leaving me with

(∂qi/∂q)*(∂pj/∂p)

Now I dont really have a clue what to do like I said before I think it is something to do with Levi.... any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2011 #2
    Is not q[itex]_{i}[/itex] independent of q[itex]_{j}[/itex] for i being not equal to j?

So the partial derivative of one wrt the other is 1 if i = j and 0 otherwise.
    Similarly for the p.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook