1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving that two variables are canonical

1. Oct 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the polar variables [tex] \rho = \sqrt{x^2+y^2} [/tex] and [tex] \phi = tan^{-1}(y/x) [/tex], with [tex] p_{rho} = \frac{x p_x +yp_y}{\rho} [/tex] and [tex] p_{phi} = xp_y-yp_x [/tex], are canonical.

2. Relevant equations

To be canonical, a set of variables must satisfy {qi,qj}={pi,pj} = 0 and {qi, pj} = dij (the Kronecker delta)

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm just a wee bit confused about the brackets here. The thing is, the way I've learned Poisson brackets is that given functions w=w(p,q) and z=z(p,q), the bracket is [tex] \sum_{i} (\frac{dw}{dq_i}\frac{dz}{dp_i} - \frac{dw}{dp_i}\frac{dz}{dq_i}) [/tex]. But this definition gives w=w(p,q) and z=z(p,q). My problem gives me rho = rho (x,y) and phi =phi(x,y). But these are both positions. So, doesn't the bracket have to be

[tex] \{\rho,\phi\} = (\frac{d\rho}{dx}\frac{d\phi}{dy} - \frac{d\rho}{dy}\frac{d\phi}{dx}) + (\frac{d\rho}{dy}\frac{d\phi}{dx} - \frac{d\rho}{dx}\frac{d\phi}{dy}) [/tex]? Or am I supposed to have derivatives of rho and phi with respect to px and py, even though the positions aren't explicitly functions of momentum?? help!:yuck:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2009 #2
    "Or am I supposed to have derivatives of rho and phi with respect to px and py, even though the positions aren't explicitly functions of momentum??"

Dead right - in a way they are functions of momentum, just trivial functions. In the same way f(x)=1 is a function of x. You just want to follow your prescription exactly with your phase variables [tex]q_1=x, q_2=y, p_1=p_x,p_2=p_y[/tex]. See if you get the right numbers out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook