Prove the case r= -n (n is a positive integer)of the general power rule

In summary, the derivative of x^-n is -nx^-n-1, using the factorization of a difference of nth powers and without using the quotient rule. The product rule is used to differentiate the left side of x^n(x^{-n})= 1, resulting in -nx^-n-1.
tachyon_man
Prove that:
d/dx x^-n = -nx^-n-1
Use the factorization of a difference of nth powers given in this section (not using quotient rule)
My attempt gets me from the definition of the derivative to (1/n^(n-1)) n times... I need the negative. I get nx^(-n-1) instead of -nx^(n-1).

Physics news on Phys.org
kylem1994 said:
Prove that:
d/dx x^-n = -nx^-n-1
Use the factorization of a difference of nth powers given in this section (not using quotient rule)
My attempt gets me from the definition of the derivative to (1/n^(n-1)) n times... I need the negative. I get nx^(-n-1) instead of -nx^(n-1).
Since you chose not to say what "the factorization of a difference of nth powers given in this section" nor now you attempted to do this, I don't see how you can expect anyone to help.

Since you are not allowed to use the quotient rule, I would recommend writing [itex]x^n(x^{-n})= 1[/itex] and differentiating both sides, using the product rule on the left. What do you get when you do that?

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the general power rule?

The general power rule is a mathematical formula used to find the derivative of a power function. It states that the derivative of x^n is equal to n*x^(n-1), where n is a constant and x is the variable.

How is the general power rule derived?

The general power rule can be derived using the limit definition of derivative and the rules of differentiation. By taking the limit of the difference quotient as the change in x approaches 0, the derivative of x^n can be found to be n*x^(n-1).

What is the importance of the general power rule?

The general power rule is an essential tool in calculus and is used to find the derivatives of many functions, including polynomial, exponential, and trigonometric functions. It allows us to find the slope of a curve at any point, which has many practical applications in fields such as physics and engineering.

How is the general power rule applied in real-life situations?

The general power rule can be applied in various real-life situations, such as finding the maximum or minimum values of a function, calculating rates of change, and determining the velocity and acceleration of an object in motion.

Can the general power rule be applied to negative exponents?

Yes, the general power rule can be applied to negative exponents. When the exponent is negative, the power function becomes a reciprocal function, and the general power rule can be used to find its derivative. The resulting derivative will have a negative exponent, indicating a decreasing slope.