1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove the convergence of a limit

1. Dec 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    it should be all right this time, but could you please check my solution?

prove the convergence and find the limit of the following sequence:
    ##a_1>0##
    ##a_{n+1}= 6 \frac{1+a_n}{7+a_n}##
    with ## n \in \mathbb{N}^*##

3. The attempt at a solution
    the sequence is increasing, and its two possible limits are the solution of the associated equation: 2; -3.
    However, I have to exclude -3, because being ##a_1>0## and the sequence increasing, it can't converge to a negative number.
    Saying it converges is equal to saying that:
    for every ##\epsilon<0## there exists a n* s.t. for every n≥n* we have:
    ##|a_n-L|<\epsilon##
    being L=2 in this case and ##a_{n+1}>a_n>a_{n*}## we have
    ##\frac{6+6a_n}{7+a_n}-2|<\epsilon##
    and
    ## |\frac{6- 14 -2a_n+6a_n}{7+a_n}|<\epsilon##
    which holds for every
    ## a_n> \frac{-7\epsilon-8}{4-\epsilon}##

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##\displaystyle \quad\quad \quad\quad \left|\frac{6+6a_n}{7+a_n}-2\right|<\epsilon##
    You have a few typos in your post. I cleaned some up and enlarged some fractions.

##\displaystyle \frac{-7\epsilon-8}{4-\epsilon}\ \ ## is negative for ε < 4 .

If a1 > 2 , then the sequence is decreasing.

4. Dec 18, 2012 #3
    great, thanks!
    would it be better then, if i wrote:
    which holds for
    ##\displaystyle \frac{-7\epsilon-8}{4-\epsilon}>0##
    with
    ##\epsilon>4##
    ?

5. Dec 18, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. Not at all.

You need to show that [itex]\displaystyle \ \left|\frac{6+6a_n}{7+a_n}-2\right|<\epsilon\ \ [/itex] for all ε > 0. The crucial situation is when ε is very small.

6. Dec 18, 2012 #5
    should i put it like that:
    ##|\frac{7\epsilon+8}{4-\epsilon}| > a_n## which for ##\epsilon## going to 0, goes to 2? --> ##a_n<2##

7. Dec 18, 2012 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What you need to show is that for all n > n*, [itex]\displaystyle |a_n-2|<\varepsilon\ .[/itex]

If you can find a way to define an in terms of n and a1, then the ε-n* proof described above is appropriate.

I have worn out WolramAlpha, messing around with this problem.

I haven't worked with recursively defined sequences lately... but here's an idea.

If the sequence an is monotonically increasing, which it is if 0 < a1 < 2, and if the sequence has an upper bound of 2, then all you need to show is that for ε > 0, there is a n>0 for which ak > 2-ε .

Now that I consider that, that's not easy to do either.

8. Dec 19, 2012 #7

pasmith

Homework Helper

Acutally if [itex]a_1 > 2[/itex] then the sequence is monotonic decreasing. What is true is that if [itex]a_n > 0[/itex] then [itex]a_{n+1} > 0[/itex], so if [itex]a_1 > 0[/itex] then certainly the sequence cannot converge to -3.

With sequences defined by recurrence relations, it's best to note that if [itex]|a_n - L|[/itex] is monotonic decreasing, then it is bounded below (by 0, as absolute values always are) and so [itex]|a_n - L|[/itex] must converge to a limit. Hence [itex]a_n[/itex] converges, and given how [itex]L[/itex] was determined [itex]a_n[/itex] must converge to [itex]L[/itex].

The condition for [itex]|a_n - 2|[/itex] to be monotonic decreasing is that [itex]|a_{n+1} - 2| < |a_n - 2|[/itex] for all n. Now
    [tex]
    \left|a_{n+1} - 2\right|
    = \left|6\frac{a_n+1}{a_n+7} - 2\right|
    = \left|\frac{4a_n - 8}{a_n + 7}\right| = \frac{4}{|a_n + 7|}|a_n - 2|
    [/tex]
    which means that [itex]|a_{n+1} - 2| < |a_n - 2|[/itex] if [itex]|a_n + 7| > 4[/itex]. This holds, in particular, if [itex]a_n > 0[/itex]. Since [itex]a_1 > 0[/itex] and if [itex]a_n > 0[/itex] then [itex]a_{n+1} > 0[/itex], [itex]|a_{n+1} - 2| < |a_n - 2|[/itex] for all n. Hence [itex]a_n[/itex] tends to a limit, which in the circumstances must be 2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook