1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove the functions are unique in a volume, vector calculus problem

1. Nov 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In a volume V, enclosed by a surface S, the vector fields X and Y satisfy the coupled equations

∇×∇×X=X+Y

∇×∇×Y=YX

If the values of ∇×X and ∇×Y are given on S, show that X and Y are unique in V.

2. Relevant equations
    ∇.(A×B)=B.(∇×A)−A.(∇×B)

∇×(A×B)=∇(∇.A)−∇2A

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am assuming that I need to show that ∇2X and ∇2Y are equal to zero to satisfy the uniqueness theorem for Poisson's equation. But am unsure of a good way to get there, so before I write my scribbles if someone could point me in the right direction it would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2012 #2
    We need to prove two things, first that ∇ ^2 X = 0 and ∇ ^2 Y = 0, and also that X and Y are zero on S.

It is straight forward to show that

2X = ∇×∇×X - ∇×∇×Y
    2Y = ∇×∇×X + ∇×∇×Y

Thus from the second identity above

2X = ∇ (∇.X) - ∇^2 X - ∇ (∇.Y) + ∇^2
    2Y = ∇(∇.X) - ∇^2 X + ∇ (∇.Y) - ∇^2 Y

Can we somehow now show from this using the divergence theorem that the above conditions are satisfied?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook