1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove the set of all automorphisms of a group is a group.

1. Nov 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An isomorphism of a group onto itself is called an automorphism. Prove that the set of all automorphisms of a group is itself a group with respect to composition.

2. Relevant equations

To prove that this is a group I must show that it is closed on composition, there is an identity, and each element has an inverse, but proving something is a group isn't where the trouble lies. The trouble lies in reading the problem/understanding the terms.

3. The attempt at a solution

First let's consider the thing called "automorphism". Is this a mapping? Say, the identity mapping? What exactly is the thing called "automorphism"?

Second, what is the set of all automorphisms of a group? How many ways can you really list the group? Isn't there only one? I'm pretty confused about these meanings. I don't actually need help showing this is a group, I need help knowing what set looks like.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2011 #2
    Are you studying from a book? If the book has a question on automorphisms, then it should also have a definition. Have you looked in the index?

4. Nov 13, 2011 #3
    The explanation given is "An isomorphism of a group onto itself is called an automorphism."

5. Nov 13, 2011 #4
    What does it say that an isomorphism is?

6. Nov 13, 2011 #5
    G is isomorphic to H means there is an operation preserving bijection from G to H.

7. Nov 13, 2011 #6
    OK, one last question and we can get to work. What is the definition given for composition?

8. Nov 13, 2011 #7
    f(g(x)) ? I don't know what you're asking here. Standard composition.

9. Nov 13, 2011 #8
    That's what I was looking for. In order to prove that the set of automorphisms of a group G is itself a group under composition, you need to show 4 things. The first of these is closure. In other words, if f is an automorphism and g is an automorphism, then fg is an automorphism. In order to show that fg is an automorphism you have to show that it is an operation preserving bijection from G to G. There are four things to show:
    1. fg maps G to G.
    2. fg is one to one.
    3. fg is onto
    4. fg preserves the group operation on G.

Start with number 1, and so on through number 4. You have a lot of facts you can use.
    1. f maps G to G.
    2. f is one to one.
    3. f is onto.
    4. f preserves the group operation on G.
    5. g maps G to G.
    6. g is one to one.
    7. g is onto.
    8. g preserves the group operation on G.

Once you have done this, you are not finished. You will have only shown closure, but the rest is similar.

10. Nov 13, 2011 #9
    Okay, that helps. Thanks :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook