Prove two metric spaces have the same open balls

In summary, the two metric spaces (X,d) and (X,d1) have precisely the same open sets, except for the open ball of infinite radius in (X,d) which corresponds to the entire set X, which is also an open ball in (X,d1). This is because every open set is the union of open balls, and the two metric spaces have the same open balls except for this one exception. It is important to note that all balls in (X,d1) can be named by the scheme {w | d(c,w) < e/(e+1)}, where e/(e+1) is any arbitrarily chosen real number in the interval [0,1].
winter85

Homework Statement

Let X be a metric space with metric d, and let [tex] d_{1} [/tex] be the metric defined by [tex] d_{1}(x,y) = \frac{d(x,y)}{1+d(x,y)} [/tex] . Show that the two metric spaces [tex] (X,d) [/tex] and [tex] (X,d_{1}) [/tex] have precisely the same open sets. Hint: show that they have the same open balls with one exception. What is this exception?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I note that the function [tex] f(x) = \frac{x}{1+x} [/tex] is continuous and monotically increasing, and that [tex] d_{1}(x,y) < d(x,y) [/tex] for all distinct x and y.

I reasoned like this: Let [tex] S(x) [/tex] be an open ball in [tex] (X,d) [/tex] of center x and radius r. Then for all y in S(x), we have [tex] d(x,y) < r [/tex] , therefore [tex] d_{1}(x,y) < \frac{r}{1+r}[/tex] and so y is in an open ball centered at x with radius at most [tex] \frac{r}{1+r} [/tex]. Let S'(x) be the open ball in [tex] (X,d_{1}) [/tex] centered at x with radius [tex] \frac{r}{1+r} [/tex]. So we have [tex] S(x) \subseteq S'(x) [/tex]
Similarly, for all y in S'(x) we have [tex] d_{1}(x,y) < \frac{r}{1+r} [/tex], so [tex] d(x,y) < r [/tex] hence y in S(x), therefore [tex] S'(x) \subseteq S(x) [/tex]. So we have that S(x) = S'(x) which means the two metric spaces have the same open balls.

It's easy to conclude that the two metric spaces have thus the same open sets, because every open set is the union of open balls.

Now I'm not very sure about this argument, so I hope anyone would point out the weaknesses or points that are wrong or need further justification. Also any hint about what this exception might be?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
(minor aside: did you verify that r/(r+1) exists, for all r?)

An oddity about your proof is that you used a different naming scheme for the open balls in (X,d) and (X,d1). (In what follows, I've deliberately chosen different names for my indeterminate variables) In (X,d), you chose a point a and a real number q, and used that to denote the ball
{v | d(q,v) < a}.​
However, in (X,d1), you chose a point c and a real number e, and used that to denote the ball
{w | d(c,w) < e/(e+1)}.​

Any particular reason for doing so? (Was it a conscious decision?) Do you have an argument that all balls in (X,d1) can be named by such a scheme?

I'm sorry but i don't see what you mean by this:

In (X,d), you chose a point a and a Real Number q, and used that to denote the ball

{v | d(q,v) < a}.

in (X,d), i chose a point a and a real number q and denoted the ball

S = {v | d(a,v) < q}. I picked a point v from this set. Then i chose an open ball S' of center a but under the metric d1, that contains the point v. Then I proved that if v' is a point in S', then it must be a point of S also. At least that was my working plan.

for an argument that all balls in (X,d1) can be named by

{w | d(c,w) < e/(e+1)},

e/(e+1) can be any arbitrarily chosen real number in the interval [0,1). the diameter of any set under the d1 metric is in the interval [0,1]. So the radius of any ball in (X,d1) must be in the set [0,1]. If it's less than 1, then it can be represented as e/(e+1) for some real number e. However if it is 1 then it cannot be represented in this way. This would happen when then ball we're considering in (X,d) is the entire set X, and the set X has infinite radius, right? But we know that the set X is an open ball in any metric, it is an open ball in both (X,d) and (X,d1).
I hope now my reasoning is clearer? I'm having trouble organizing my thoughts about this problem :(

What is a metric space?

A metric space is a mathematical concept that describes a set of objects, where the distance between any two objects in the set is defined by a function called a metric. This distance function satisfies certain properties, such as non-negativity, symmetry, and the triangle inequality.

What are open balls?

An open ball in a metric space is a set of points that are all within a certain distance from a given center point. This distance is defined by the metric, and the set includes all points that are strictly less than this distance from the center point.

How do you prove that two metric spaces have the same open balls?

To prove that two metric spaces have the same open balls, you must show that for every point in one space, there exists an open ball around that point that is also contained in the other space. This means that the distance function and the set of points in each space must be equivalent.

Why is it important to prove that two metric spaces have the same open balls?

Proving that two metric spaces have the same open balls is important because it allows us to show that the two spaces are equivalent in terms of distance and topology. This means that any properties or theorems that hold for one space will also hold for the other space, making them interchangeable in certain contexts.

What are some common techniques for proving that two metric spaces have the same open balls?

There are several techniques that can be used to prove that two metric spaces have the same open balls. One approach is to directly compare the distance functions and show that they are equivalent. Another approach is to use the concept of homeomorphism, which is a continuous mapping between two spaces that preserves the topological structure. Other techniques may involve constructing a one-to-one correspondence between the two spaces or using a bijective function to map between them.