1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove two squares and a cube equal an integer

1. Mar 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Disprove or prove the statement that every positive integer is the sum of at most two squares and a cube of non-negative integers.

2. The attempt at a solution
    I'll call the numbers that can be squares a and b. C will be the cube.

The easiest way to disprove something is to find a counter example. I figured 8 would work if one doesn't include 0 in the allowed values of a, b, and c. However, since the problem says "non-negative integers" instead of "positive" integers, I figure this is in err. (Edit: also, now thinking about it, it says "at most"-- so, 0 must be an allowed state for a, b, and/or c)

Just from glancing at it, I see that we have a situation where, since a can equal b, we can have 2a + 0 or 2a + 1 (depending on c)... So, that would seem to cover all even/odd integers. The only thing that's bugging me is the spacing. Since a and b are perfect squares, I can't simply say that they will cover all of the possible integers.... I'm not sure how to go about proving/disproving this. Does anyone have any thoughts, or any other thoughts in general as to how to approach this problem?

Thanks!

-Max

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2010 #2
    If I was trying to solve this problem, I would start by working it out for small positive integers:

[itex]1 = 1^2[/itex]

[itex]2 = 1^2 + 1^2[/itex]

[itex]3 = 1^2 + 1^2 +1^3[/itex]

and so on. If you're lucky, you'll find a relatively small counter example. Otherwise, you might see a pattern that suggests a proof. Try that and see what you find.

Petek

4. Mar 20, 2010 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is 8 the only number you tried as a counter example??

5. Mar 20, 2010 #4
    Ah. By brute force, it appears 15 won't work. Somehow, prior to eating dinner, I must've skipped over that one :P I had thought I checked up until 50.

So, I guess the moral of the story for these kinds of problems is never let elegance get in the way of plain ol' plug and chug.

Thanks for the insight, guys :)

6. Mar 20, 2010 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

7 doesn't work either. You must have missed it.

7. Mar 20, 2010 #6
    Ah. You're entirely right! For some reason, I had written down the squares as 1, 2, 4, 9, 16...

Better moral of the story: be sure to have full stomach when doing discrete math :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook