1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving a and b are squares of an integer

1. Aug 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If a, b and c are positive integers with (a,b) = 1 and c2 = ab, show that each of a and b is the square of an integer.

I've been starring at this problem for a while now and I've got not clues. I don't see the relation between a and b being relatively prime and the rest of the problem. Any hints would be appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2012 #2
    Can you prove that c does not divide either a or b?

And I think it should be required that a, b, c > 1.

4. Aug 25, 2012 #3

uart

Science Advisor

All the prime factors of a square (eg c^2) have an even multiplicity. Relative prime "a" and "b" means that they have no prime factors in common. Does that give you a hint?

5. Aug 25, 2012 #4
    Yes I think so.

Suppose c divides a and b.
    Then a=c.m and b=c.n it follows that c2=2.m.n and a=b=c. Obviously this cant be since (a,b)=1

Suppose c divides a but not b.
    Then c2=c.m.b and c=m.b. Therefore b|c and c|a implying b|a which clearly can't be since (a,b)=1. This also implies that c can't divide b and not a.

Is that a sufficient proof?

Thanks for the hint but I'm still stuck.
    Does it follow from c=(a.b)/c and since c doesn't divide a or b that c must divide the product and some how use that fact.

6. Aug 25, 2012 #5

jgens

Gold Member

If you can use the fact that the integers are a unique factorization domain, then the proof is pretty much trivial, as uart suggested. Otherwise, consider both the greatest divisor of c that also divides a and the greatest divisor of c that also divides b.

7. Aug 25, 2012 #6
    If c does not divide a and b separately, then c must equal AB, where A divides a and B divides b. What does that imply?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook