1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove Using the Method of Contrapositive

1. Jan 28, 2016 #1
    Prove both by method of contrapositive.
    1. If a ≤ b + ε, where ε > 0, then b > a.
    2. If 0 ≤ a - b < ε, where ε > 0, then a = b.

I'll start with problem 1.:
    p: If a ≤ b + ε, where ε > 0
    q: b > a

neg q: b < a
    neg p: for some ε' > 0 1/2(a - b), a > b + ε'

define ε' = 1/2(a - b)

I assume the contrapositive goes something like this: p→q, neg q→neg p,

After this, do I start with b < a→ a > b + ε', and then substitute the ε' = 1/2( a - b) into neg p and then try to work it into the form b < a ? However, it seem like I should start b > a and work my way to neg p. But how? Am I on the right path? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The negation of q is "b is not greater than a" I.e., ##b \le a##
    I don't get what you're doing here. Are there any "for all" qualifiers in the original question?
    Where did the (1/2)(a - b) come from?
    Yes, you have it right.

4. Jan 29, 2016 #3
    yes,,
    Yes, sorry, instead of "where ε > 0" I should have wrote "for all ε > 0".

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2016
  5. Jan 29, 2016 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Look up in your textbook or in examples from class how you deal with universal qualifiers in forming the contrapositive.

6. Jan 29, 2016 #5
    The (1/2)(a - b) is a hint the 1st problem gives you. I misplaced it in the problem. The "neg p: for some ε' > 0 1/2(a - b), a > b + ε' ", should read " neg p: There is some ε' > 0 , so that a > b + ε'. And then the hint, define ε' = (1/2)(a - b). Sorry, it was late when I typed the original.

Also, thank you for confirming that I'm starting in the right direction. I'll work from there, and then post. Thanks much.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted