Prove value of definite integral is greater than b

• Thread starter lep11
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Prove ##\int_{0}^{b} \frac{e^x}{1+x} dx>b## for every ##b>0##.

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, no idea. I suppose I cannot just calculate the definite integral and estimate. I think it needs to be proven in a more rigorious way.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

blue_leaf77
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Consider the fact that ##\int_0^b 1 dx = b##.

Hmm... if ##f(x)>g(x)##, then it follows that ##\int_{a}^{b} f(x) dx## > ##\int_{a}^{b} g(x)dx##?

I need to show that ## \frac{e^x}{1+x}>1##?

blue_leaf77
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I need to show that ## \frac{e^x}{1+x}>1##?
Yes, but only within the interval ##[0,b]##.

The first hint you gave was very helpful.

Let ##0≤x≤b##,

then ## \frac{e^x}{1+x}≥1##⇔## e^x≥1+x## which is true since we know the expansion ##e^x=1+x+\frac{x^2}{2}+...≥1+x##

Therefore ##\int_{0}^{b} \frac{e^x}{1+x} dx## ≥ ##\int_{0}^{b} 1 dx=b##

and ##\int_{0}^{b} \frac{e^x}{1+x} dx## = ##\int_{0}^{b} 1 dx=b## iff ## x=0##.

I think I am almost there...is there a mistake in the problem statement because ##\int_{0}^{b} \frac{e^x}{1+x} dx## can have value of b when ##x=0##? I think it wouldn't contradict anything, would it?

if ##x=0##, then ##f(x)=\frac{e^x}{1+x}## ruduces to constant function so maybe that's why we assume ##x≠0##?

Last edited:
Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
The first hint you gave was very helpful.

Let ##0≤x≤b##,

then ## \frac{e^x}{1+x}≥1##⇔## e^x≥1+x## which is true since we know the expansion ##e^x=1+x+\frac{x^2}{2}+...≥1+x##

Therefore ##\int_{0}^{b} \frac{e^x}{1+x} dx## ≥ ##\int_{0}^{b} 1 dx=b##

and ##\int_{0}^{b} \frac{e^x}{1+x} dx## = ##\int_{0}^{b} 1 dx=b## iff ## x=0##.

I think I am almost there...is there a mistake in the problem statement because ##\int_{0}^{b} \frac{e^x}{1+x} dx## can have value of b when ##x=0##? I think it wouldn't contradict anything, would it?

if ##x=0##, then ##f(x)=\frac{e^x}{1+x}## ruduces to constant function so maybe that's why we assume ##x≠0##?
No. When ##x = 0## we have ##f(x) = 1##, but ##f## is NOT the constant function!

Anyway, on ##[0,\infty)## you have ##f(x) \geq 1##, with strict inequality when ##x > 0##.

blue_leaf77
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Thanks to Ray I know that the OP edited his last post after the last time I checked it.
##\int_{0}^{b} \frac{e^x}{1+x} dx## = ##\int_{0}^{b} 1 dx=b## iff ## x=0##.
This line is unnecessary. Moreover those integrals are not a function of ##x## (if you want you can define it as a function of ##b##, though), thus evaluating it at certain value of ##x## makes no sense. It's like you want to evaluate a function ##f(y)## at ##x=0##.
is there a mistake in the problem statement because ∫b0ex1+xdx∫0bex1+xdx\int_{0}^{b} \frac{e^x}{1+x} dx can have value of b when x=0x=0x=0? I think it wouldn't contradict anything, would it?
$$
\int_{0}^{b} \frac{e^x}{1+x} dx = b
$$
is true if when ##b=0##, but the problem states that the condition for ##b## is that it is bigger than zero, so there is no contradiction.

Is that obvious or need to be proven?

blue_leaf77
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Is that obvious or need to be proven?
It's obvious but why do you ask about it now?

It's obvious but why do you ask about it now?
I am asking about it now because I am checking and reviewing my work. This piece of homework is due to tomorrow. It is very obvious to me that ##\int_0^b 1 dx = b##, but we haven't proven that in class and I'm wondering if I am supposed to prove that as well or if I can just say to my teacher that "oh, that's obvious." And it's better ask late than never, right?

Last edited:
blue_leaf77
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Then in that case, prove it. It should require only one line.