1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove value of definite integral is greater than b

1. May 9, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove ##\int_{0}^{b} \frac{e^x}{1+x} dx>b## for every ##b>0##.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Honestly, no idea. I suppose I cannot just calculate the definite integral and estimate. I think it needs to be proven in a more rigorious way.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Consider the fact that ##\int_0^b 1 dx = b##.

4. May 9, 2016 #3
    Hmm... if ##f(x)>g(x)##, then it follows that ##\int_{a}^{b} f(x) dx## > ##\int_{a}^{b} g(x)dx##?

I need to show that ## \frac{e^x}{1+x}>1##?

5. May 9, 2016 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, but only within the interval ##[0,b]##.

6. May 9, 2016 #5
    The first hint you gave was very helpful.

Let ##0≤x≤b##,

then ## \frac{e^x}{1+x}≥1##⇔## e^x≥1+x## which is true since we know the expansion ##e^x=1+x+\frac{x^2}{2}+...≥1+x##

Therefore ##\int_{0}^{b} \frac{e^x}{1+x} dx## ≥ ##\int_{0}^{b} 1 dx=b##

and ##\int_{0}^{b} \frac{e^x}{1+x} dx## = ##\int_{0}^{b} 1 dx=b## iff ## x=0##.

I think I am almost there...is there a mistake in the problem statement because ##\int_{0}^{b} \frac{e^x}{1+x} dx## can have value of b when ##x=0##? I think it wouldn't contradict anything, would it?

if ##x=0##, then ##f(x)=\frac{e^x}{1+x}## ruduces to constant function so maybe that's why we assume ##x≠0##?

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  7. May 9, 2016 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. When ##x = 0## we have ##f(x) = 1##, but ##f## is NOT the constant function!

Anyway, on ##[0,\infty)## you have ##f(x) \geq 1##, with strict inequality when ##x > 0##.

8. May 9, 2016 #7

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks to Ray I know that the OP edited his last post after the last time I checked it.
    This line is unnecessary. Moreover those integrals are not a function of ##x## (if you want you can define it as a function of ##b##, though), thus evaluating it at certain value of ##x## makes no sense. It's like you want to evaluate a function ##f(y)## at ##x=0##.
    $$
    \int_{0}^{b} \frac{e^x}{1+x} dx = b
    $$
    is true if when ##b=0##, but the problem states that the condition for ##b## is that it is bigger than zero, so there is no contradiction.

9. May 11, 2016 #8
    Is that obvious or need to be proven?

10. May 11, 2016 #9

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's obvious but why do you ask about it now?

11. May 11, 2016 #10
    I am asking about it now because I am checking and reviewing my work. This piece of homework is due to tomorrow. It is very obvious to me that ##\int_0^b 1 dx = b##, but we haven't proven that in class and I'm wondering if I am supposed to prove that as well or if I can just say to my teacher that "oh, that's obvious." And it's better ask late than never, right?

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  12. May 11, 2016 #11

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then in that case, prove it. It should require only one line.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted