Proving 2nd Order Differential Eqns

In summary, the value of x can be found by differentiating the given equation, setting the second derivative equal to zero, and solving for x. After applying the chain rule and product rule, the value of x is determined to be 1.
TannY

Homework Statement

If y = (3x)/e^2x, find the value of x when d^2y/dx^2 = 0

Homework Equations

I'll just abbv d^2y/dx^2 as d2ydx2

The Attempt at a Solution

I kept getting stuck at:
d2ydx2 = 6/e^2
When d2ydx2 = 0,

6/e^2 = 0
6 = e^2

Then where's my x?? :confused: :confused:

P.S: i have serious issues with differentiation =.=

Physics news on Phys.org
y = 3x*e^(-2x)
y' = 3e^(-2x) - 6xe^(-2x)
y'' = -6e^(-2x) - 6e^(-2x) + 12xe^(-2x) = 0
-12e^(-2x) + 12xe^(-2x) = 0
12xe^(-2x) = 12e^(-2x)
x = 1

Differentiated using the chain rule (for exponentials) and product rule.

thanx! ^^
i thought that (e^2x)squared = (e^4x) lol :biggrin:

TannY said:
thanx! ^^
i thought that (e^2x)squared = (e^4x) lol :biggrin:

It is.

Filler Filler Filler.

1. What is a second order differential equation?

A second order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves the second derivative of a function. This means that the equation relates the rate of change of a quantity to its acceleration or curvature.

2. Why is proving second order differential equations important?

Proving second order differential equations helps us understand and predict the behavior of many natural and physical phenomena, such as motion, heat transfer, and electrical circuits. It also allows us to solve complex mathematical problems and make accurate predictions about the future behavior of a system.

3. How do you prove a second order differential equation?

To prove a second order differential equation, you need to show that the equation holds true for all possible values of the variables involved, using mathematical methods such as substitution, integration, and differentiation. This involves demonstrating that both sides of the equation are equal for all values of the variables.

4. What are some real-world applications of second order differential equations?

Second order differential equations are used in a wide range of fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are used to model and analyze various phenomena such as population growth, pendulum motion, electrical circuits, and chemical reactions.

5. What are the differences between linear and nonlinear second order differential equations?

Linear second order differential equations have a linear relationship between the dependent variable, its first derivative, and its second derivative. Nonlinear second order differential equations have a nonlinear relationship between these variables, making them more complex and difficult to solve. Linear equations have known solutions, while nonlinear equations often require numerical methods for approximation.