Proving 3/4 is Infimum of A: A = { x^2 +x + 1 }

  • Thread starter Thread starter mercuryman
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
mercuryman
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Giva a formal proof that 3/4 is the infimum of the set : A = { x^2 +x + 1 }

Homework Equations


I need a clear way to prove it - to understand the contradiction.


The Attempt at a Solution


I've assumed there is a M<3/4 that x^2 +x + 1>M. where is the contradiction?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I've assumed there is a M<3/4 that x^2 +x + 1>M
I think you mean ##x^2 +x + 1\leq M##? Otherwise it would be a bit pointless.

You should have given ##x \in R## somewhere.
 
Why is this posted under "physics"? It is clearly a math problem- complete the square.