Proving A-1 = 3I - A for a Square Matrix A Satisfying A2 - 3A + I = 0

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 9K views
iamsmooth
Messages
103
Reaction score
0
1. Show that if a square matrix A satisfies A2 - 3A + I = 0, then A-1 = 3I - A



2. A-1A = I and A-1A = I and more that I can't think of



3. 3A = A2 + I

A = (A2 + I)/3

?


This question is weird :o
Anyone know how to do it?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm so stupid I got the template wrong. I think I figured it out:

Show that if a square matrix A satisfies A2 - 3A + I = 0, then A-1 = 3I - A

A2 - 3A + I = 0
A2 - 3A = -I
A(A - 3I) = -I
A - 3I = -I/A

I/A = A-1, therefore:

A-1 = 3I - A
 
i would take out the divide step, its not really defined for matricies, there is only multiplication by the inverse

so before that step, just muliply through by -1 and you're finished
 
Oh you're right! Matrix multiplication doesn't actually exist >.>

Thanks for the input!
 
iamsmooth said:
Oh you're right! Matrix multiplication doesn't actually exist >.>
Matrix multiplication actually DOES exist. It's matrix division that doesn't exist.
 
iamsmooth said:
I'm so stupid I got the template wrong. I think I figured it out:

Show that if a square matrix A satisfies A2 - 3A + I = 0, then A-1 = 3I - A

A2 - 3A + I = 0
A2 - 3A = -I
A(A - 3I) = -I
A - 3I = -I/A

I/A = A-1, therefore:

A-1 = 3I - A

I buy it up to the step where you have A(A - 3I) = -I. After that, I'm not buying. First off, and as already noted, there is no matrix division, so -I/A doesn't make sense.

Second, you say that I/A = A-1. What makes you think that A has an inverse? All you are given is that A is a square matrix. There is nothing said about A being invertible (i.e., having an inverse).

So how can you justify your last statement, that A-1 = 3I - A?

Hint: A(A - 3I) = -I, or equivalently, A(3I - A) = I.
 
Mark44 said:
I buy it up to the step where you have A(A - 3I) = -I. After that, I'm not buying. First off, and as already noted, there is no matrix division, so -I/A doesn't make sense.

Second, you say that I/A = A-1. What makes you think that A has an inverse? All you are given is that A is a square matrix. There is nothing said about A being invertible (i.e., having an inverse).

So how can you justify your last statement, that A-1 = 3I - A?

Hint: A(A - 3I) = -I, or equivalently, A(3I - A) = I.

Isn't it said that a matrix is invertible if the product is an identity matrix, whereas (3I - A) is the inverse of A, so you know it's invertible. Thus instead of dividing, you multiply both sides by the inverse of A which would make 3I - A = A-1

Or wait is it AB = BA = I, so it has to commute? I'm not too sure how to prove that A is invertible in this case, if this isn't right. :(