Proving a Complex Analysis Limit: lim_{z \rightarrow 1+2i} [ix - (x+y)] = -3 + i

In summary, we used the definition of the limit and the triangle inequality to find a relationship between |z-z_0| and |f(z)-w_0|, and then used this relationship to choose a value for \delta that satisfies the definition of the limit. We have shown that the limit is equal to -3 + i.
Dunkle

Homework Statement

Show that [tex]lim_{z \rightarrow 1+2i} [ix - (x+y)] = -3 + i[/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex]lim_{z \rightarrow z_0} f(z) = w_0[/tex] if and only if given [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex] there exists a [tex]\delta > 0[/tex] such that [tex] 0 < |z-z_0| < \delta \Rightarrow |f(z)-w_0| < \epsilon[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]f(z) = ix-(x+y), w_0 = -3+i, z = x+iy, z_0 = 1+2i[/tex]

I calculated the following:

[tex]|z-z_0| = \sqrt{(x-1)^2+(y-2)^2}[/tex] and

[tex]|f(z)-w_0| = \sqrt{(3-x-y)^2+(x-1)^2}[/tex]

I need to somehow find a relationship between these, and this is where I'm struggling. Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

First, we need to rewrite the function in terms of z instead of x and y:

f(z) = ix-(x+y) = ix - (x+iy) = (i-1)x - iy

Next, we can use the definition of the limit to find a relationship between |z-z_0| and |f(z)-w_0|:

|f(z)-w_0| = |(i-1)x - iy - (-3+i)| = |(i-1)x + (1-i)y + 3-i|

We can then use the triangle inequality to split up the absolute value:

|f(z)-w_0| \leq |(i-1)x| + |(1-i)y| + |3-i|

Since we are trying to find a relationship between |z-z_0| and |f(z)-w_0|, we can rewrite the first two terms using the definition of |z-z_0|:

|(i-1)x| = |(i-1)(x-1+1)| = |(i-1)(z-z_0)| = |i-1||z-z_0| = \sqrt{2}|z-z_0|

|(1-i)y| = |(1-i)(y-2+2)| = |(1-i)(z-z_0)| = |1-i||z-z_0| = \sqrt{2}|z-z_0|

Substituting these back into the original equation, we get:

|f(z)-w_0| \leq \sqrt{2}|z-z_0| + \sqrt{2}|z-z_0| + |3-i| = 2\sqrt{2}|z-z_0| + |3-i|

Now, we can use this relationship to find a value for \delta that satisfies the definition of the limit. Let's choose \delta = \frac{\epsilon}{2\sqrt{2}+1}. Then, if 0 < |z-z_0| < \delta, we have:

|f(z)-w_0| \leq 2\sqrt{2}|z-z_0| + |3-i| < 2\sqrt{2}\frac{\epsilon}{2\sqrt{2}+1} + |3-i| = \epsilon

Therefore, we have shown that lim_{z

Related to Proving a Complex Analysis Limit: lim_{z \rightarrow 1+2i} [ix - (x+y)] = -3 + i

1. What is a limit in complex analysis?

A limit in complex analysis refers to the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a specific complex number. This is similar to limits in real analysis, but in complex analysis, the input and output of a function can be complex numbers instead of just real numbers.

2. How is the limit of a complex function calculated?

The limit of a complex function can be calculated using the same methods as in real analysis, such as direct substitution, factoring, and using properties of limits. However, in complex analysis, there are additional techniques, such as using the Cauchy-Riemann equations, that can be used to evaluate limits.

3. What is the difference between a real limit and a complex limit?

The main difference between a real limit and a complex limit is that in a real limit, the input and output of the function are both real numbers, whereas in a complex limit, the input and output can be complex numbers. This allows for a more complex and nuanced understanding of how functions behave near a specific point.

4. Can a complex function have multiple limits?

Yes, a complex function can have multiple limits. This is because in complex analysis, a function can approach different values from different directions. This is known as a directional limit, and it is an important concept in understanding the behavior of complex functions.

5. What is the importance of limits in complex analysis?

Limits play a crucial role in complex analysis as they provide insights into the behavior of a function near a specific point. They also help in determining the continuity and differentiability of a complex function. Additionally, limits are used in developing important theorems and techniques in complex analysis, such as the Cauchy integral theorem and the Cauchy integral formula.