Proving a formula for the number of intervals contained in [1,n]

In summary, the formula for the number of closed intervals with integer endpoints contained in the interval [1,n] is the sum of i from i=1 to i=n. This can be proven through induction by first trying a specific value for n and then observing the pattern that emerges.
morbius27

Homework Statement

Prove a simple formula for the number of closed intervals with integer endpoints contained in the interval [1,n] (including one point intervals), where n is a natural number.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the formula ends up being the sum of i from i=1 to i=n (this makes sense just from inspection) but I have no idea how to actually go about proving the claim.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi morbius27! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Try it for n = 4 first …

write out a list of all the closed intervals …

what do you get? when you count them, can you see a pattern? :smile:

if you know the solution but want to prove it, use induction

tiny-tim said:
Hi morbius27! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Try it for n = 4 first …

write out a list of all the closed intervals …

what do you get? when you count them, can you see a pattern? :smile:

Thanks Tiny Tim! I got the solution after doing what you said and got the pattern; it worked beautifully after that ;)

What is the formula for the number of intervals contained in [1,n]?

The formula for the number of intervals contained in [1,n] is n(n+1)/2.

How do you prove the formula for the number of intervals contained in [1,n]?

The formula can be proven using mathematical induction. First, show that the formula is true for n=1. Then, assume that the formula is true for some value of n. Finally, prove that the formula is also true for n+1. This will prove that the formula holds for all positive integers.

What is the significance of the number of intervals contained in [1,n]?

The number of intervals contained in [1,n] is significant in many areas of mathematics, such as combinatorics and calculus. It can also be used in real-world applications, such as calculating the number of possible outcomes in a game or the number of subintervals in a given range.

Can the formula for the number of intervals contained in [1,n] be extended to other intervals?

Yes, the formula can be extended to any interval [a,b] by simply replacing n with b-a in the formula. This will give the number of intervals contained in the range [a,b].

Are there any limitations to the formula for the number of intervals contained in [1,n]?

The formula assumes that the intervals are all of equal length, starting from 1 and ending at n. If the intervals are not of equal length or do not start from 1, then the formula may not be applicable. Additionally, the formula only applies to positive integers.