Proving a function f is continuous given A U B = X

But in general DmeetA or DmeetB may not be closed in A or B respectively. And as you know, the inverse image of a closed set in Y under f, need not be closed in X. In general D will not be closed in X. You have to look for a counterexample. But in the case that DmeetA and DmeetB are closed in A and B respectively, you can proceed just as you did with open sets, since now A and B are closed in X. So in summary, to prove continuity of f, you need to show that the inverse image of an open set in Y is open in X, and to prove that f is not continuous, you need to
Mikaelochi
TL;DR Summary
Let X & Y be topological spaces and let f: X --> Y. Suppose A U B = X. And that f limited to A gives: A ---> Y and f limited to B gives: B ---> Y and these are continuous.
Basically with this problem, I need to show that f is continuous if A and B are open and if A and B are closed. My initial thoughts are that in the first case X must be open since unions of open sets are open. My question is that am I allowed to assume open sets exist in Y? Because then I can feasibly apply the topological continuity theorem (it's called theorem 2.6 in Basic Topology by M.A. Armstrong) which essentially says that the preimage of open sets are open. And I think that would prove it is continuous. The second case troubles me because I don't think I can say conclusively that the preimage of closed sets are closed. I know that if X is closed then X complement must be open. But I'm pretty sure X complement is not in the domain of f. Apparently it's also possible to find a function such that given these constraints, the function is not continuous. Any help on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think one of the axioms of a space being a topological space is that it's an open set, so you know X is open before you're told anything about A and B.

Y is also a topological space, so it has at least two open sets, Y and the empty set. Beyond that you haven't been told anything.

I think you should just start with the definition of what it means for f to be continuous on A and B, and then write down what you need to prove for f to be continuous on X. It seems like your thoughts are a bit too scattered right now.

Mikaelochi said:
Summary:: Let X & Y be topological spaces and let f: X --> Y. Suppose A U B = X. And that f limited to A gives: A ---> Y and f limited to B gives: B ---> Y and these are continuous.

Basically with this problem, I need to show that f is continuous if A and B are open and if A and B are closed. My initial thoughts are that in the first case X must be open since unions of open sets are open. My question is that am I allowed to assume open sets exist in Y?

[itex]X[/itex] is open by definition of being a topological space. Again by definition, [itex]Y[/itex] has at least two open subsets: [itex]Y[/itex] and [itex]\emptyset[/itex].

Because then I can feasibly apply the topological continuity theorem (it's called theorem 2.6 in Basic Topology by M.A. Armstrong) which essentially says that the preimage of open sets are open.

That is the idea, yes.

The second case troubles me because I don't think I can say conclusively that the preimage of closed sets are closed. I know that if X is closed then X complement must be open. But I'm pretty sure X complement is not in the domain of f.

What is the complement of [itex]X[/itex]? It must be with respect to some set, and that set must be [itex]X[/itex]. So the complement of [itex]X[/itex] is empty. As this is open, [itex]X[/itex] itself is closed. (Remember that "closed" is not the logical negation of "open" and that a set can be both.)

If [itex]V \subset Y[/itex] is closed, then [itex]Y \setminus V[/itex] is open. Now [itex]f^{-1}(Y \setminus V)[/itex] is everything in the domain of [itex]f[/itex] whose image is not in [itex]V[/itex], which is exactly the complement of [itex]f^{-1}(V)[/itex].

Apparently it's also possible to find a function such that given these constraints, the function is not continuous. Any help on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I assume you mean in the case that [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] are not both open or both closed, since we know the result holds for those cases. Consider a non-constant function [itex]f: [0,1] \to \{0,1\}[/itex]. Then [itex]f[/itex] is necessarily continuous when restricted to [itex]A = f^{-1}(\{0\})[/itex] and [itex]B = f^{-1}(\{1\})[/itex] respectively, and clearly [itex][0,1] = A \cup B[/itex]. Can [itex]f[/itex] be continuous on [itex][0,1][/itex]?

Likes Mikaelochi
pasmith said:
[itex]X[/itex] is open by definition of being a topological space. Again by definition, [itex]Y[/itex] has at least two open subsets: [itex]Y[/itex] and [itex]\emptyset[/itex].
That is the idea, yes.
What is the complement of [itex]X[/itex]? It must be with respect to some set, and that set must be [itex]X[/itex]. So the complement of [itex]X[/itex] is empty. As this is open, [itex]X[/itex] itself is closed. (Remember that "closed" is not the logical negation of "open" and that a set can be both.)

If [itex]V \subset Y[/itex] is closed, then [itex]Y \setminus V[/itex] is open. Now [itex]f^{-1}(Y \setminus V)[/itex] is everything in the domain of [itex]f[/itex] whose image is not in [itex]V[/itex], which is exactly the complement of [itex]f^{-1}(V)[/itex].
I assume you mean in the case that [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] are not both open or both closed, since we know the result holds for those cases. Consider a non-constant function [itex]f: [0,1] \to \{0,1\}[/itex]. Then [itex]f[/itex] is necessarily continuous when restricted to [itex]A = f^{-1}(\{0\})[/itex] and [itex]B = f^{-1}(\{1\})[/itex] respectively, and clearly [itex][0,1] = A \cup B[/itex]. Can [itex]f[/itex] be continuous on [itex][0,1][/itex]?
I don't really understand how unioning two numbers 0 and 1 makes a closed interval.

By one definition of continuity, it suffices show that the inverse image C of an open set of Y under f, is open in X. By hypothesis its restriction, i.e. intersection, with both A and B are open. So we want to show that if X = AunionB, and both A and B are open, and if CmeetA is open in A, and CmeetB is open in B, then C is itself open in X. Fortunately, since A and B are open in X, being open in A or B is the same as being open in X. Then use the formula C = CmeetX = Cmeet(AunionB) = (CmeetA) union (CmeetB).

Similarly, continuity of f is equivalent to showing that the inverse image D of a closed set in Y, is closed in X. We are given that DmeetA and Dmeet B, are closed in A and B respectively, Again, being closed in a closed subset of X is the same as being closed in X...

If it is any consolation to you, presumably as a newbie, I admit that even as a seasoned old professional, I found this tedious and had to use pen and paper.

However, as an aid to future problems, continuity is a "local" property, which means if it is true on each set of an open cover, then it is true. So the case where A and B are open, is "obvious" to someone who knows that. It had not occurred to me that it is also true for A and B closed, and presumably this is because we need the closed cover to be finite, i.e. we need to use the fact that a finite union of closed sets is closed, whereas any union of open sets is open.

i.e. I would guess that the correct generalization of this problem is to show that if f is continuous when restricted to each set of any open cover of X, then f is continuous on X, and if f is continuous on each set of any finite closed cover of X, then f is continuous on X. You might try showing these when you finish the current problem. This would be more useful later on than just the result stated in the problem.

Last edited:

1. How do you prove that a function is continuous?

To prove that a function f is continuous, you must show that the limit of f(x) as x approaches any value in the domain of the function is equal to the value of the function at that point. This can be done using the definition of continuity or by using the three-part definition of continuity.

2. What is the definition of continuity?

The formal definition of continuity states that a function f is continuous at a point c if and only if the limit of f(x) as x approaches c exists and is equal to the value of f(c).

3. How do you use the three-part definition of continuity to prove a function is continuous?

The three-part definition of continuity states that a function f is continuous at a point c if and only if the following three conditions are met: 1) f(c) is defined, 2) the limit of f(x) as x approaches c exists, and 3) the limit of f(x) as x approaches c is equal to f(c). To prove a function is continuous using this definition, you must show that all three conditions are met.

4. What is the importance of A U B = X in proving continuity of a function?

A U B = X is an important condition in proving continuity of a function because it ensures that the function is defined and continuous at every point in the domain X. This means that the function is continuous on the entire set X, not just at specific points.

5. Can a function be continuous at some points but not others?

Yes, a function can be continuous at some points but not others. This is known as a point of discontinuity. A function may be continuous on a closed interval, but have a discontinuity at one or more points within that interval. It is important to carefully analyze the behavior of a function at all points in its domain to determine its continuity.