Prove that f is continuous on (a, b), with a property given?

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that a function is continuous on an open interval if it is continuous for all interior points. The method for proving this is by showing that for any given epsilon, there exists a delta such that if the difference between two points in the interval is less than delta, then the difference between the function values at those points is also less than epsilon. This can be achieved by using the given property that |f(x) - f(t)| is always less than or equal to |x - t|.
LilTaru

Homework Statement

Suppose the function f has the property that |f(x) - f(t)| <= |x - t| for each pair of points x,t in the interval (a, b). Prove that f is continuous on (a, b).

Homework Equations

I know a function is continuous if lim x-->c f(x) = f(c)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to even start this question. I know a function is continuous on an open interval if it is continuous for all interior points, but how do I even begin to show that? Please help?!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you need to prove that [itex]\displaytype\lim_{x\to x_0} f(x)= f(x_0)[/itex] for any [itex]x_0[/itex] in (a, b). That, from the basic definition of limit, is the same as showing that "Given [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex], there exist [itex]\delta> 0[/itex] such that if [itex]|x- x_0|< \delta[/itex] then [itex]|f(x)- f(x_0)|< \epsilon[/itex]".

But you are given that [itex]|f(x)- f(x_0)|< |x- x_0|[/itex]! Taking [itex]\delta= \epsilon[/itex] works.

Two questions:

1) So I can replace t with x0? As in instead of |f(x) - f(t)| like the question states... use |f(x) - f(x0|?

2) Why is it en? I thought it is just supposed to be < e?

That's epsilon followed by closing quotation marks, not [itex]e^n[/itex]

LilTaru said:
Two questions:

1) So I can replace t with x0? As in instead of |f(x) - f(t)| like the question states... use |f(x) - f(x0|?
You said "|f(x) - f(t)| <= |x - t| for each pair of points x,t in the interval (a, b)" and [itex]x_0[/itex] is a point in (a, b)

2) Why is it en? I thought it is just supposed to be < e?
Thanks, Char. Limit, yes, that is not an 'n' it is just an end of the " ".

Oh, okay! That clears it up a lot! It works and I solved it! Thank you both for the very quick responses and help! Much appreciated!

1. What does it mean for a function to be continuous on an interval?

For a function to be continuous on an interval (a, b), it means that the function is defined and has a value at every point within the interval, and the value of the function at a particular point approaches the value of the function at a nearby point as the input approaches that point. In other words, there are no sudden jumps or breaks in the function's graph within the interval.

2. How can I prove that a function is continuous on an interval?

To prove that a function f is continuous on an interval (a, b), you can use the epsilon-delta definition of continuity. This involves showing that for any epsilon value (a small positive number), there exists a delta value (a small positive number) such that if the distance between the input and a point within delta of the input is less than delta, then the distance between the function values at those two points is less than epsilon.

3. What is the importance of proving that a function is continuous on an interval?

If a function is continuous on an interval (a, b), it means that the function exhibits a smooth and predictable behavior within that interval. This is important because it allows us to make accurate predictions and calculations based on the function's behavior, and it also allows us to apply certain mathematical concepts and techniques that rely on continuity.

4. Can a function be continuous on a closed interval [a, b]?

Yes, a function can be continuous on a closed interval [a, b]. This means that the function is continuous at every point within the interval, including the endpoints a and b. To prove continuity on a closed interval, the same epsilon-delta definition can be used, but with some slight modifications at the endpoints.

5. What are some common properties that a function can have on a continuous interval?

Some common properties of a function on a continuous interval include differentiability (the function has a well-defined derivative at every point within the interval), monotonicity (the function is either always increasing or always decreasing within the interval), and boundedness (the function is not increasing or decreasing without bound).