Prove that f is continuous on (a, b), with a property given?

• Thread starter LilTaru
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Suppose the function f has the property that |f(x) - f(t)| <= |x - t| for each pair of points x,t in the interval (a, b). Prove that f is continuous on (a, b).

Homework Equations

I know a function is continuous if lim x-->c f(x) = f(c)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to even start this question. I know a function is continuous on an open interval if it is continuous for all interior points, but how do I even begin to show that? Please help?!

Answers and Replies

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Yes, you need to prove that [itex]\displaytype\lim_{x\to x_0} f(x)= f(x_0)[/itex] for any [itex]x_0[/itex] in (a, b). That, from the basic definition of limit, is the same as showing that "Given [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex], there exist [itex]\delta> 0[/itex] such that if [itex]|x- x_0|< \delta[/itex] then [itex]|f(x)- f(x_0)|< \epsilon[/itex]".

But you are given that [itex]|f(x)- f(x_0)|< |x- x_0|[/itex]! Taking [itex]\delta= \epsilon[/itex] works.

Two questions:

1) So I can replace t with x0? As in instead of |f(x) - f(t)| like the question states... use |f(x) - f(x0|?

2) Why is it en? I thought it is just supposed to be < e?

Char. Limit
Gold Member
That's epsilon followed by closing quotation marks, not [itex]e^n[/itex]

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Two questions:

1) So I can replace t with x0? As in instead of |f(x) - f(t)| like the question states... use |f(x) - f(x0|?
You said "|f(x) - f(t)| <= |x - t| for each pair of points x,t in the interval (a, b)" and [itex]x_0[/itex] is a point in (a, b)

2) Why is it en? I thought it is just supposed to be < e?
Thanks, Char. Limit, yes, that is not an 'n' it is just an end of the " ".

Oh, okay! That clears it up a lot! It works and I solved it! Thank you both for the very quick responses and help! Much appreciated!