1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving a sequence is a cauchy sequence in for the 7 -adic metric

1. May 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the sequence (xn)n[itex]\in[/itex]N [itex]\in[/itex]Z given by xn = Ʃ from k=0 to n (7n) for all n [itex]\in[/itex] N is a cauchy sequence for the 7 adic metric.

2. Relevant equations
    In a metric space (X,dx) a sequence (xn)n[itex]\in[/itex]N in X is a cauchy sequence if for all ε> 0 there exists some M[itex]\in[/itex]N such that dx(xn,xm)<ε for all m,n ≥ M.

the 7-adic metric is defined as follows:
    p(m,n)= 1/(the largest power of 7 dividing m-n) if m[itex]\neq[/itex]n or 0 if m=n

3. The attempt at a solution

I am struggling with proving sequences are cauchy because I am not sure how to go about finding the 'M'? I am not even sure how to start the question apart from assuming m<n. Just a hint at how to start it or how to approach the question would be appreciated.

Assuming m<n am I able to write d7(xn,xm)=Ʃ from k=m+1 to n (7n)?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2013 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So to calculate ##p(x_n,x_m)##, you need to find the largest power of 7 that divides ##x_n-x_m##?

That sum at the end is ##x_n-x_m##, right? Can you take ##7^{m+1}## outside of the sum, and then do something fun with the sum you have left.
    $$x_n-x_m=\sum_{k=m+1}^n 7^k=7^{m+1}(1+7+\cdots+7^{n-m-1}).$$

Last edited: May 8, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted