1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving a Sequence is Convergent

1. Oct 2, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let {[tex]a_{n}[/tex]}[tex]^{\infty}_{n=1}[/tex] be a sequence of real numbers that satisfies

|[tex]a_{n+1}[/tex] - [tex]a_{n}[/tex]| [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]|[tex]a_{n}[/tex] - [tex]a_{n-1}[/tex]|

for all n[tex]\geq[/tex]2

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So, I know that it suffices to show that the sequence is Cauchy to prove this. And I can show that

|[tex]a_{m}[/tex] - [tex]a_{n}[/tex]| [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\sum[/tex][tex]^{m-1}_{n}[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex][tex]^{k-1}[/tex] * |[tex]a_{2}[/tex] - [tex]a_{1}[/tex]|

And that is about where I get lost. I'm very unclear on how to define the N in relation to the [tex]\epsilon[/tex].

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2008 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

I will take your comment that you've shown

[tex]
    |a_m - a_n | \le |a_2 - a_1| \sum_{k=n}^m \left(\frac 1 2 \right)^k
    [/tex]

as correct - make sure it's correct.

Suppose [tex] \varepsilon > 0 [/tex] is given. Try taking [tex] N [/tex] so large that [tex] n, m [/tex] larger than [tex] N [/tex] give

[tex]
    \sum_{k=n}^m \left(\frac 1 2 \right)^k < \frac{\varepsilon}{2|x_2 - x_1|}
    [/tex]

This should work (why the 2 in my denom - to make sure the sequence terms differ by less than [tex] \varepsilon [/tex] - it's a holdover from my student days, and I'm too old to change.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?