Proving Antisymmetry of Electromagnetic Field Tensor with 4-Force

In summary, the equation $$E_{\mu\nu}U^\mu U^\nu = 0$$ implies the fact that ##E_{\mu\nu}## is antisymmetric tensor.
Little Gravity
TL;DR Summary
Trying to proove the antisymmetry of Electromagnetic Field Tensor via the orthogonality property of 4-Force with respect the 4-velocity of some particle
I've already made a post about this topic here, but I realized that I didn't understand the explanation on that post. in Chapter 7 of Rindler's book on relativity, in section about electromagnetic field tensor, he states that

_and introducing a factor 1/c for later convenience, we can ‘guess’ the tensor equation_, $$ F_\mu= \frac{q}{c} E_{\mu \nu} U^\nu$$
_thereby introducing the electromagnetic field tensor_$$E_{\mu \nu}$$
_We would surely want the
force $F\mu$ to be rest-mass preserving, which, according to (6.44) and (7.15), requires_
$$F_\mu U^\mu = 0$$. _So we need_
$$E_{\mu \nu} U^\mu U^\nu = 0$$
_for all $ U^\mu$ , and hence the antisymmetry of the field tensor_
$$E_{\mu \nu}= −E_{\nu \mu}$$\\

I'm really confused about the correct way to show that the equation $$E_{\mu \nu} U^\mu U^\nu = 0$$ implies the fact that $$E_{\mu\nu}$$ is antisymmetric tensor. What is the correct demonstration of this implication?

OBS: I've saw some posts answering this kind of question with bilinear maps notation, instead of component notation. If possible, please make some demonstration using the index notation as in the post.

Another OBS: I'm NOT trying do proove that antisymmetry implies the null equation. I'm trying to proove that the null equation implies the antisymmetry of the field tensor.

Physics news on Phys.org
Little Gravity said:
What is the correct demonstration of this implication?

The dyad ##U^\mu U^\nu## is obviously symmetric. So the only way for ##E_{\mu \nu} U^\mu U^\nu = 0## to always hold is for ##E_{\mu \nu}## to be antisymmetric.

We can write
[tex]E_{\mu\nu}=S_{\mu\nu} + A_{\mu\nu}[/tex]
where S is symmetric tensor and A is antisymmetric tensor.

[tex]E_{\mu\nu}U^\mu U^\nu=S_{\nu\mu}U^\nu U^\mu+A_{\nu\mu}U^\nu U^\mu [/tex]
[tex]E_{\nu\mu}U^\nu U^\mu=S_{\mu\nu}U^\mu U^\nu+A_{\mu\nu}U^\mu U^\nu [/tex]

Summing the both sides
[tex]E_{\mu\nu}U^\mu U^\nu+E_{\nu\mu}U^\nu U^\mu=2S_{\mu\nu}U^\mu U^\nu=0[/tex]

[tex]S_{\mu\nu}=0[/tex]
Only anti-symmetric component ##A_{\mu\nu}## survives.

EDIT: I found I have failed to delete my previous wrong post #2. Please disregard it.

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
I found I have failed to delete my previous wrong post #2.

You can always ask a moderator to delete a post if it is outside your edit window. I have just deleted your post #2.

Likes anuttarasammyak
anuttarasammyak said:
Only anti-symmetric component ##A_{\mu \nu}## survives.

As long as you make use of the fact, which you have not explicitly stated, that ##U^\mu U^\nu## is symmetric. You have implicitly used that fact in your second, third, and fourth equations. And if you make use of that fact, you have a much simpler argument that gets you to the same conclusion--the argument I gave in my first post in this thread (which is now post #2).

1. What is the electromagnetic field tensor?

The electromagnetic field tensor is a mathematical representation of the electromagnetic force that describes the electric and magnetic fields in terms of a four-dimensional tensor. It is commonly used in the study of electromagnetism and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of electrically charged particles.

2. How is the electromagnetic field tensor related to the 4-force?

The electromagnetic field tensor is related to the 4-force through the Lorentz force equation, which describes the force experienced by a charged particle in an electromagnetic field. The 4-force is a four-dimensional vector that includes both the electric and magnetic components of the force.

3. What is antisymmetry in the context of the electromagnetic field tensor?

Antisymmetry refers to the property of the electromagnetic field tensor where the values of the tensor are equal when the indices are swapped. This means that the tensor is unchanged when the electric and magnetic fields are interchanged, which is a fundamental property of electromagnetism.

4. Why is it important to prove the antisymmetry of the electromagnetic field tensor?

Proving the antisymmetry of the electromagnetic field tensor is important because it provides a fundamental understanding of the behavior of electrically charged particles in an electromagnetic field. It also allows for the development of more advanced theories and equations in the field of electromagnetism.

5. How is the antisymmetry of the electromagnetic field tensor proven?

The antisymmetry of the electromagnetic field tensor can be proven through mathematical calculations and manipulations of the tensor's components. This involves swapping the indices and showing that the resulting tensor remains unchanged. Additionally, experimental evidence can also support the antisymmetry of the tensor.