1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving countable ordinal embeds in R

1. Feb 2, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    show that if q is any countable ordinal, then there is a countable set A ⊆ R (in fact we can require A ⊆ Q), so that (A, <) ∼= (q, ∈).
    3. The attempt at a solution
    since q is a countable ordinal this implies that it has a mapping to the naturals.
    to me this seems strong enough. and its also well ordered.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's hard to tell from the notation you've used, but I suspect the question is asking you to prove there is an order-preserving mapping.
    From countability of q you can get a bijection to the naturals, but in most cases it won't be order preserving.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  4. Feb 3, 2016 #3
    in order to preserve order, can we use a permutation group to create a linear order

5. Feb 3, 2016 #4

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The permutation groups I am familiar with are on finite sets. Unless q is finite - in which case the entire problem becomes trivial - I can't see how a permutation on a finite number of elements would help. I think you will need to use the structure of countable ordinals to prove this.

6. Feb 4, 2016 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Use transfinite induction and the fact that ##\mathbb{R}## is order isomorphic to any interval ##(a,b)##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted