Ordinal Arithmetic: Proving X is Countably Compact

In summary, the problem at hand is to show that the set X of all ordinals less than the first uncountable ordinal μ is countably compact but not compact. The latter can be easily proven, but while attempting to prove the former, a curiosity arises. It is necessary to show that every infinite subset of X has a limit point in X, which can be achieved by showing that any infinite subset with μ as a limit point has another limit point in X. However, this is complicated by the fact that μ is uncountable while the first ω ordinals of the subset are countable. The existence of ordinals between ωω and the presented sequence {ωn} is also questioned.
Gear300
Problem Statement:
Show that the set X of all ordinals less than the first uncountable ordinal is countably compact but not compact.

Let μ be the first uncountable ordinal.

The latter question is easy to show, but I stumbled upon a curiosity while attempting the former. In showing the former, I simply tried to show that every infinite subset of X should have a limit point (or in particular, an ω-accumulation point) in X. And so, in doing this, I needed to ensure that any infinite subset with μ as a limit point has another limit point in X. I reasoned that the first ω ordinals of this subset should only span a countable range of ordinals, since each of their co-initials are countable and a countable union of countable sets is countable. Any neighborhood of μ, however, is uncountable, so the limit point of the first ω ordinals of this subset cannot be μ. But when I considered the following set -

The sequence {ωn} = ω, ω2, ... , ωn, ...

- it was hard to discern a limit point other than ωω. Aside from what the exact nature of the first uncountable ordinal is chosen to be, there should still be a limit point somewhere before ωω. So simply put, what ordinals exist between ωω and the sequence I presented?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is ordinal arithmetic?

Ordinal arithmetic is a mathematical operation that involves manipulating and comparing infinite numbers known as ordinals. Ordinals are used to represent the order or position of objects in a well-ordered set.

2. What does it mean to prove X is countably compact?

Countably compact is a property of a topological space, which means that every countable open cover has a finite subcover. To prove X is countably compact, it means to show that this property holds for the given topological space X.

3. Why is it important to prove that X is countably compact?

Proving that a topological space is countably compact is important because it has several applications in mathematics, such as in the study of infinite sequences, set theory, and topology. It also helps in understanding the properties and behavior of different types of spaces.

4. What are some methods used to prove that X is countably compact?

There are several methods used to prove that a topological space is countably compact, some of which include the use of cardinal and ordinal numbers, compactness properties, and the use of open covers and subcovers.

5. Can X be both countably compact and uncountable?

No, a topological space cannot be both countably compact and uncountable. Countably compact spaces are by definition countable, meaning they have a finite or countably infinite number of elements. On the other hand, uncountable spaces have an uncountably infinite number of elements, and they cannot be countably compact.