Solving Ordinal Arithmetic: X Countably Compact but Not Compact

In summary, ordinal arithmetic can be solved for a countably compact but not compact space X. This involves understanding the properties of countable compactness and compactness, and utilizing the concept of ordinals to construct a proof. The key difference between the two is that countably compact spaces may have infinite sequences with no convergent subsequences, while compact spaces must have a convergent subsequence for every infinite sequence. By carefully constructing a sequence and utilizing ordinals, it is possible to show that X is countably compact but not compact. This provides a valuable insight into the intricacies of topological spaces and their properties.
Gear300
Problem Statement:
Show that the set X of all ordinals less than the first uncountable ordinal is countably compact but not compact.

Let μ be the first uncountable ordinal.

The latter question is easy to show, but I stumbled upon a curiosity while attempting the former. In showing the former, I simply tried to show that every infinite subset of X should have a limit point (or in particular, an ω-accumulation point) in X. And so, in doing this, I needed to ensure that any infinite subset with μ as a limit point has another limit point in X. I reasoned that the first ω ordinals of this subset should only span a countable range of ordinals, since each of their co-initials are countable and a countable union of countable sets is countable. Any neighborhood of μ, however, is uncountable, so the limit point of the first ω ordinals of this subset cannot be μ. But when I considered the following set -

The sequence {ωn} = ω, ω2, ... , ωn, ...

- it was hard to discern a limit point other than ωω. Aside from what the exact nature of the first uncountable ordinal is chosen to be, there should still be a limit point somewhere before ωω. So simply put, what ordinals exist between ωω and the sequence I presented?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Gear300 said:
Problem Statement:
Show that the set X of all ordinals less than the first uncountable ordinal is countably compact but not compact.

Let μ be the first uncountable ordinal.

The latter question is easy to show, but I stumbled upon a curiosity while attempting the former. In showing the former, I simply tried to show that every infinite subset of X should have a limit point (or in particular, an ω-accumulation point) in X. And so, in doing this, I needed to ensure that any infinite subset with μ as a limit point has another limit point in X. I reasoned that the first ω ordinals of this subset should only span a countable range of ordinals, since each of their co-initials are countable and a countable union of countable sets is countable. Any neighborhood of μ, however, is uncountable, so the limit point of the first ω ordinals of this subset cannot be μ. But when I considered the following set -

The sequence {ωn} = ω, ω2, ... , ωn, ...

- it was hard to discern a limit point other than ωω. Aside from what the exact nature of the first uncountable ordinal is chosen to be, there should still be a limit point somewhere before ωω. So simply put, what ordinals exist between ωω and the sequence I presented?

That limit is certainly [itex]\omega^\omega[/itex]. Why do you think it might not be?

To say that the set of countable ordinals is countably compact is to say (I think) that for any countable collection, the limit is also a countable ordinal. To say that it is not compact is to say that this is not true for an uncountable collection (the limit is not a countable ordinal).

stevendaryl said:
That limit is certainly [itex]\omega^\omega[/itex]. Why do you think it might not be?

To say that the set of countable ordinals is countably compact is to say (I think) that for any countable collection, the limit is also a countable ordinal. To say that it is not compact is to say that this is not true for an uncountable collection (the limit is not a countable ordinal).

I figured that since I am supposed to show that the set X of all ordinals prior to the first uncountable ordinal is countably compact, the set { ωn } should have a limit point in X, since it is infinite and each ωn is a countable ordinal. But ωω is an uncountable ordinal, so it isn't so much that I am denying that ωω is a limit point, but rather that there should be some other limit point in X for the hypothesis to hold. The neighborhoods being used are of the form (α,β) ⊆ X.

Gear300 said:
I figured that since I am supposed to show that the set X of all ordinals prior to the first uncountable ordinal is countably compact, the set { ωn } should have a limit point in X, since it is infinite and each ωn is a countable ordinal. But ωω is an uncountable ordinal

No, it's not. It's countable.

stevendaryl said:
No, it's not. It's countable.

Exponentiation means something different for ordinals than for cardinals. For cardinal exponentiation, [itex]\alpha^\beta[/itex] means the cardinality of the set of all functions from [itex]\beta[/itex] into [itex]\alpha[/itex]. For ordinal exponentiation, [itex]\alpha^\beta[/itex] is defined here:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/OrdinalExponentiation.html

By definition, [itex]\omega^\omega = [/itex] the smallest ordinal greater than [itex]\omega^n[/itex] for every [itex]n[/itex]

stevendaryl said:
Exponentiation means something different for ordinals than for cardinals. For cardinal exponentiation, [itex]\alpha^\beta[/itex] means the cardinality of the set of all functions from [itex]\beta[/itex] into [itex]\alpha[/itex]. For ordinal exponentiation, [itex]\alpha^\beta[/itex] is defined here:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/OrdinalExponentiation.html

By definition, [itex]\omega^\omega = [/itex] the smallest ordinal greater than [itex]\omega^n[/itex] for every [itex]n[/itex]

I must have been trying to think outside the box. I had completely forgotten about the anti-lexicographic nature of the ordering. Thanks. Your answer has been enlightening. I may as well add this as a supplement:

https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/278992/how-to-think-about-ordinal-exponentiation

1. What is ordinal arithmetic?

Ordinal arithmetic is a mathematical system used to manipulate and compare ordinal numbers, which are a type of number used to represent the order or position of objects in a sequence. It is an extension of the more familiar system of cardinal arithmetic used for counting objects.

2. What does it mean for X to be countably compact?

In mathematics, a topological space is countably compact if every countable open cover has a finite subcover. This means that if a space has infinitely many open sets, but they can still be "covered" by a finite number of them, then it is countably compact. In other words, it is a way to measure the size or compactness of a space.

3. What is the significance of X being countably compact but not compact?

This means that the space X has some properties of compactness, such as being able to be "covered" by a finite number of open sets, but it also has additional properties that make it distinct from a compact space. Understanding these properties can help us better understand and classify different types of spaces in mathematics.

4. How can ordinal arithmetic be used to solve problems related to countably compact spaces?

Ordinal arithmetic can be used to analyze and compare different properties of countably compact spaces. For example, it can help us determine if a given space is countably compact, or if it is possible to construct a countably compact space with certain desired properties. It can also be used to prove theorems and make generalizations about countably compact spaces.

5. Are there any real-world applications of solving ordinal arithmetic in countably compact spaces?

While ordinal arithmetic and countably compact spaces may seem abstract and theoretical, they have real-world applications in fields such as topology, computer science, and physics. For example, countably compact spaces are used in the study of dynamical systems and chaos theory, and they also have applications in computer algorithms and data analysis.