Proving Dedekind cut Multiplication is closed

In summary, the author is attempting to prove that multiplication in the real field is closed under cut multiplication, but is stuck on proving that the positive rational number ##\alpha\beta## is nonempty. He considers adding all negative or zero rationals to the number ##\alpha\beta##, but this still does not prove that it is nonempty. He also considers taking the product of the rationals ##r## and ##s##, but this still does not work. Finally, he gets an epiphany and realizes that he can just use the two rationals ##r## and ##s## which are greater than zero to solve the problem.
SrVishi

Homework Statement

I am reading Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis (3rd edition) and am working through the construction of ##\mathbb{R}##. In step 6 of his construction, we must first verify that the field properties of multiplication hold for how he defines multiplication for the positive reals. He defines the positive reals as ##\mathbb{R}^{+}=\{\alpha>0^{\ast}\}## (##\alpha## is a Dedekind cut, and ##>## is defined as proper superset) where ##0^{\ast}=\{p\in\mathbb{Q}|p<0\}## (the additive identity in the real field). Multiplication for any ##\alpha,\beta\in\mathbb{R}^{+}## is defined as ##\alpha\beta=\{p\in\mathbb{Q}|\exists r\in\alpha\wedge\exists s\in\beta(r>0\wedge s>0\wedge p\leq rs)\}##. The first of the field properties is that it is closed under addition. Proving this is where I have trouble. I humor that I have had no problem proving all the steps of the construction on my own, but this is where I mess up.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

To prove that ##\mathbb{R}^{+}## is closed under cut multiplication, I would need to prove that ##\alpha\beta## is both a cut, and greater than ##0^{\ast}##. I am stuck on proving that ##\alpha\beta## is nonempty. I would need to find a rational number where I am guaranteed the existence of positive ##r\in\alpha\wedge s\in\beta## such that ##(p\leq rs)##. I thought about using 0, since any positive elements of ##\alpha## or ##\beta## would help 0 satisfy ##0\in\alpha\beta##. My problem is guaranteeing the existence of any such positive ##r## or ##s##. I know that ##\alpha,\beta\in\mathbb{R}^{+}## implies ##\alpha>0^{\ast}## and ##\beta>0^{\ast}##. This also implies that ##\alpha\supset0^{\ast}## and ##\beta\supset0^{\ast}## so ##\exists r\in\alpha(r\notin0^{\ast})## and ##\exists s\in\alpha(s\notin0^{\ast})##. Since this ##r\notin0^{\ast}## and ##s\notin0^{\ast}##, I know that ##r\geq0## and ##s\geq0##. These are the only elements of ##\alpha## and ##\beta## I know to work with, but my issue is that they are not guaranteed to be greater than 0, only (greater than or equal to). I considered taking just disregarding using 0 as the element of ##\alpha\beta## to show that it is nonempty and instead just taking the product of the ##r## and ##s##, but I still run into the problem of not knowing if they are strictly greater than 0. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just a note, your notation ## \mathbb{R}^+ ## designates strictly positive reals which is not standard. Also, by a cut I understand you mean a left half line in ##\mathbb{Q}## not containing a largest element. That's fine, just mentionning I am following your definitions here, as I understand them.

To prove that ## \alpha\beta\neq\emptyset ##, just take any ## r>0 ## in ## \alpha ## and ## s>0 ## in ## \beta ## (check that this is possible by your assumptions). Now set ## p=rs ## and prove that it belongs to ## \alpha\beta ## .

However, your definition of ## \alpha\beta## is problematic, because it contains positive numbers only, so it is not a cut. This is easy to cure, just add all negative or zero rationals to it - but still, it needs to be cured.

Last edited:
wabbit said:
Just a note, your notation ## \mathbb{R}^+ ## designates strictly positive reals which is not standard. Also, by a cut I understand you mean a left half line in ##\mathbb{Q}## not containing a largest element. That's fine, just mentionning I am following your definitions here, as I understand them.

To prove that ## \alpha\beta\neq\emptyset ##, just take any ## r>0 ## in ## \alpha ## and ## s>0 ## in ## \beta ## (check that this is possible by your assumptions). Now set ## p=rs ## and prove that it belongs to ## \alpha\beta ## .

However, your definition of ## \alpha\beta## is problematic, because it contains positive numbers only, so it is not a cut. This is easy to cure, just add all negative or zero rationals to it - but still, it needs to be cured.
Thanks for the Reply! I just got an epiphany that I don't know why I didn't get earlier! Since, by the inferences I made earlier, I know ##\exists r\geq0## and ##\exists s\geq0##. However, I can break this into cases. If ##r=s=0##, since ##r\in\alpha## and ##s\in\beta##, then I know ##\exists x\in \alpha(x>r=0)## since ##\alpha## is a cut and has no greatest element. Similarly for ##\beta##, I can justify that ##\exists y\in\beta(y>s=0)##. Thus I would have my desired elements where ##xy\in\alpha\beta##. If I assume without loss of generality that ##r>0## and ##s=0##, then again ##\exists y\in\beta(y>s=0)## as beta has no greatest element, and the product ##ry\in\alpha\beta##. If both are greater than ##0##, well, then I can just go ahead and use ##rs##. Either way, ##\alpha\beta\neq\emptyset##

Right - but you can also start by proving that ## \forall \alpha>0^*, \exists r\in\alpha|r>0 ##, which simplifies the whole argument.

Ah, that is a great point! Formulating and proving a lemma would indeed make the proof more efficient.

1. What is a Dedekind cut?

A Dedekind cut is a mathematical concept used to define real numbers in a rigorous and precise way. It involves dividing the set of rational numbers into two parts, where one part contains all numbers less than a certain real number and the other contains all numbers greater than or equal to that number. This creates a "cut" in the number line, hence the term "Dedekind cut."

2. How is multiplication defined using Dedekind cuts?

Multiplication using Dedekind cuts is defined as the set of all numbers that can be obtained by multiplying two Dedekind cuts together. Essentially, it is the set of all possible products of two real numbers.

3. Why is it important to prove that Dedekind cut multiplication is closed?

Proving that Dedekind cut multiplication is closed is important because it ensures that the set of real numbers defined by Dedekind cuts is a field, meaning it follows all the rules and properties of multiplication. This is crucial in mathematics as it allows us to perform operations on real numbers in a consistent and reliable manner.

4. What steps are involved in proving Dedekind cut multiplication is closed?

In order to prove that Dedekind cut multiplication is closed, we must show that the product of two Dedekind cuts is also a Dedekind cut. This involves defining the product of two Dedekind cuts, showing that it satisfies the properties of a Dedekind cut, and demonstrating closure under multiplication.

5. Are there any practical applications of Dedekind cut multiplication?

While Dedekind cut multiplication may seem like a purely theoretical concept, it has practical applications in computer science, particularly in the development of computer algorithms. It is also used in advanced mathematical fields such as analysis and topology.