1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving derivatives of a parametrized line are parallel

1. Jun 22, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that if σ(t) for (t in I) is a parametrization of a line, then σ''(t) is parallel to σ'(t).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought that if σ(t) is a parametrization of a line then it could be expressed as σ(t) = vt + a, but then σ'(t) = v and σ''(t) = 0. Can two vectors be parallel? Is it because the distance between them is constant? Or did I make a mistake earlier on?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That would be the equation of a line where the point ##\sigma(t)## moves with constant velocity. But what about something of the form ##\sigma(t) = f(t)\vec D + \vec a##? Wouldn't that give a straight line too?

4. Jun 23, 2014 #3
    Ah, thank you! But both ##\vec{D}## and ##\vec{a}## are still just regular vectors, right?

5. Jun 23, 2014 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. ##\vec D## is a direction vector and ##\vec a## is a position vector to a point on the line. Both vectors are constants.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted