Is f(x) = x/(1+x²) one-to-one, onto, or both?

  • Thread starter Thread starter cilla
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    functions proofs
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
14 replies · 3K views
cilla
Messages
13
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Prove whether the function f(x) = x/(1+x^2) with domain & codomain = reals is one-to-one, onto, or both.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I know to show if it's one-to-one I have to show a/(1+a^2) = b/(1+b^2), ultimately that a = b, I don't know how to simplify them to that.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cilla said:

Homework Statement


Prove whether the function f(x) = x(1+x^2) with domain & codomain = reals is one-to-one, onto, or both.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I know to show if it's one-to-one I have to show a/(1+a^2) = b/(1+b^2), ultimately that a = b, I don't know how to simplify them to that.

Have you tried drawing a graph of the function?
 
A good trick is to assume that b = a + h and then show that h must be equal to zero.
 
To show onto, pick an arbitrary b in the reals and show that there is an a such that f(a) = b. if there aren't any conditions on b, then it is onto.
 
cilla said:

Homework Statement


Prove whether the function f(x) = x(1+x^2) with domain & codomain = reals is one-to-one, onto, or both.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I know to show if it's one-to-one I have to show a/(1+a^2) = b/(1+b^2), ultimately that a = b, I don't know how to simplify them to that.
What is the formula for the function you're working with. In the problem statement you wrote f(x) = x(1 + x2). In your attempt, the formula appears to be f(x) = ##\frac{x}{1 + x^2}##.

Which is it?
 
Oh whoops, thanks Mark44. It is the latter. Can't change the post title unfortunately but I fixed it in the body.
 
Thanks RUber but I still don't know how to execute that...
 
How do you simplify a/(1+a^2) = (a+h)/(1+(a+h)^2) to a = a+h ?
 
As has already been suggested, draw the graph. That will at least tell you what you what the answers are. Then you can think about how to prove them analytically.
 
cilla said:

Homework Statement


Prove whether the function f(x) = x/(1+x^2) with domain & codomain = reals is one-to-one, onto, or both.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I know to show if it's one-to-one I have to show a/(1+a^2) = b/(1+b^2), ultimately that a = b, I don't know how to simplify them to that.

Let [itex]f(x) = y[/itex]. Then [itex](1 + x^2)y = x[/itex] so [itex]yx^2 - x + y = 0[/itex]. Hence, [itex]f(x) = y[/itex] if and only if [itex]x \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] is a solution of [tex] yx^2 - x + y = 0.[/tex] Now consider:

(1) For what values of [itex]y \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] does that quadratic have real roots?
(2) For what values of [itex]y \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] does that quadratic have a repeated root?
 
Do you know differential Calculus?
You can use the intermediate value theorem to show that there are distinct x, y such that f(x) = f(y)
(Note this won't tell you what the x,y are, but that's not important)
 
Last edited:
GFauxPas: The most I know of calculus is pre-, and that I took years ago (my most recent math class prior to this one). So as you might guess I'm very much out of practice.

I found a counterexample for f being injective: f(1/2) = 2/5 = f(2). Thus the function is not one-to-one.

As for f being surjective:
Assume y = 1 = x/(1+x^2). Then
1+x^2 = x
x^2 - x + 1 = 0
x = (1 [+/-] sqrt(1 - 4*1)) / (2*1) ∉ ℝ
which is a contradiction since ℝ is the domain, x must be an element contained within it.

Thanks for the hints, though I didn't see any of these since my last reply until now... Only spent 5.5 hours in tutoring yesterday... =\
 
cilla said:
As for f being surjective:
Assume y = 1 = x/(1+x^2). Then
1+x^2 = x
x^2 - x + 1 = 0
x = (1 [+/-] sqrt(1 - 4*1)) / (2*1) ∉ ℝ
which is a contradiction since ℝ is the domain, x must be an element contained within it.
A better approach that doesn't assume anything about y, is to let y = b and then solve for x.

$$\frac{x}{x^2 + 1} = b$$
$$\Rightarrow x = bx^2 + b$$
$$\Rightarrow bx^2 - x + b = 0$$
$$\Rightarrow x = \frac{1 \pm \sqrt{1 - 4b^2}}{2b}$$
For x to be real, 1 - 4b2 has to be nonnegative. From this it's easy to see what the range of this function is, and that the function is not onto the reals.