Proving f(z)=e^(g(z)) on a Convex Set Omega

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
michael.wes
Gold Member
Messages
35
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Suppose that f is analytic on a convex set omega and that f never vanishes on omega. Prove that f(z)=e^(g(z)) for some analytic function g defined on omega.
Hint: does f'/f have a primitive on omega?

Homework Equations



[tex]f(z)=\sum_{k=0}^\infty a_k(z-p)^k[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



I was able to prove that f'/f has a primitive on omega by the Cauchy-Goursat theorem, but I'm not sure where to go from here. Any help is appreciated!
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Let F be a primitive of f'/f. Now, consider the function [tex]G(z)=e^{F(z)}/f(z)[/tex]. What is it's derivative? What can you conclude from that?
 


I got that [tex]e^{g(z)}=cf(z)[/tex], for some complex constant c and some analytic function g. It's usually easy in these problems to show that the constant is 1, but this is not a concrete function, so I'm not sure how to do that.
 


Well, the constant is not necessairly 1, so you'll have to find something else. You'll have to modify your function g in some way such that the equation is right...