Proving Field Isomorphism: $\sigma (x) = x$ for $x \in K$

In summary: Since this is an isomorphism, this means it is a map from the field to itself. This means that for all $x in K$, $\sigma(x) = x$.
Fantini
Gold Member
MHB
The following question appeared in my last Rings and Fields exam.

Let $\alpha \in \mathbb{R}$ be a root of $x^3 -2$. Let $K = \mathbb{Q}(\alpha) \subseteq \mathbb{R}$ and $\sigma: K \to K$ a field isomorphism. Prove that $\sigma (x) = x$ for all $x \in K$.

My attempt is as follows: since this is an homomorphism from the field to itself we have that $\sigma (0) = 0$ and $\sigma (1) = 1$. Using this I showed that $\sigma (n) = n$ for all $n \in \mathbb{Z}$ and subsequently that $\sigma (q) = q$ for all $q \in \mathbb{Q}$. Since this is an isomorphism, this means it is surjective and injective, and the only missing piece is $\alpha$, therefore we must have $\sigma (\alpha) = \alpha$. Concluding, we have that $\sigma (x) = x$ for all $x \in K$.

Even if my answer is wrong, do you think this should be awarded zero points at all?

Thank you for all help. (Yes)

P.S.: There were more passages in my solution, such as $\sigma (0) = \sigma (0+0) = \sigma (0) + \sigma (0)$, thus $\sigma (0) = 0$, and similar ones for $\sigma (1) = 1$, $\sigma(n) = n$ and $\sigma (q) = q$. I don't think it is necessary to repeat them all here, specially since I've just written one of them here. If you find it necessary, though, I will. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fantini said:

Let $\alpha \in \mathbb{R}$ be a root of $x^3 -2$. Let $K = \mathbb{Q}(\alpha) \subseteq \mathbb{R}$ and $\sigma: K \to K$ a field isomorphism. Prove that $\sigma (x) = x$ for all $x \in K$.

My attempt is as follows: since this is an homomorphism from the field to itself we have that $\sigma (0) = 0$ and $\sigma (1) = 1$. Using this I showed that $\sigma (n) = n$ for all $n \in \mathbb{Z}$ and subsequently that $\sigma (q) = q$ for all $q \in \mathbb{Q}$. Since this is an isomorphism, this means it is surjective and injective, and the only missing piece is $\alpha$, therefore we must have $\sigma (\alpha) = \alpha$. Concluding, we have that $\sigma (x) = x$ for all $x \in K$.

Even if my answer is wrong, do you think this should be awarded zero points at all?

P.S.: There were more passages in my solution, such as $\sigma (0) = \sigma (0+0) = \sigma (0) + \sigma (0)$, thus $\sigma (0) = 0$, and similar ones for $\sigma (1) = 1$, $\sigma(n) = n$ and $\sigma (q) = q$. I don't think it is necessary to repeat them all here, specially since I've just written one of them here. If you find it necessary, though, I will. Thanks.
As a last resort you could do the following:
Let $\sigma(\alpha)=a+b\alpha+c\alpha^2$, for some $a,b,c\in \mathbb{Q}$.
Then $(\sigma(\alpha))^3=\sigma(\alpha^3)=\sigma(2)=2 \Rightarrow (a+b\alpha+c\alpha^2)^3=2$. This last equality will boil down to three equations whose solutions must be $a=0,b=1,c=0$ for the desired result.
I'll try to come up with a more elegant solution.

Thank you caffeine. But the question is: regardless of your solution, is mine wrong? That's the point. I didn't solve it using your way, precisely the one he wanted, but I need to know if my reasoning is incorrect. If it isn't, I want my points in the test!

Thanks for your input. (Yes)

Fantini said:

But you haven't shown that $\sigma(\alpha)=\alpha$. And that is the most important part.
Fantini said:
Since this is an isomorphism, this means it is surjective and injective, and the only missing piece is $\alpha$, therefore we must have $\sigma (\alpha) = \alpha$.
This does not prove that $\sigma(\alpha)=\alpha$.
I can't say how many credits your solution would fetch. (I am not even a math major :P)

Last edited:
Okay. Thank you! :)

Edit: Why does it not prove that $\sigma (\alpha) = \alpha$? Since $\sigma$ is surjective we have that there is some $k \in K$ such that $\sigma (k) = \alpha$. Suppose $k \in \mathbb{Q}$. We already showed that $\sigma (k) = k$ for that case, but $\alpha \notin \mathbb{Q}$, therefore it can't be rational. If it can't be rational, the only possibility, since $\sigma$ is injective, is that $\sigma (\alpha) = \alpha$.

In other words, I don't mind being wrong. Mistakes is where I learn most. But I need know WHERE exactly I am going wrong. What is the problem with my reasoning? Am I using faulty assumptions? Is doing $(a+b \alpha + c \alpha^2)^3$ the only way? Thanks.

Last edited:
all we are given to go on for $\alpha$ is that:

$\alpha^3 = 2$ and $\alpha \in \Bbb R$

since $\sigma$ fixes $\Bbb Q$ taking $\sigma$ of both sides gives:

$(\sigma(\alpha))^3 = 2$

now that doesn't seem to help much, but at least it does tell us $\sigma(\alpha)$ is a root of $x^3 - 2$.

let's expand our investigation of $x^3 - 2$ a bit. suppose $\omega$ is a root of:

$x^2 + x + 1 = \dfrac{x^3 - 1}{x - 1}$.

a little algebra tells us that:

$x^3 - 2 = (x - \alpha)(x - \alpha\omega)(x - \alpha\omega^2)$

examining the discriminant of $x^2 + x + 1$ which is $1^2 - 4(1)(1) = -3 < 0$ tells us that $\omega,\omega^2$ and thus $\alpha\omega,\alpha\omega^2$ are not real.

since we are given that $\sigma(K) = K$, it follows that $\sigma(\alpha) \in \Bbb R$.

since $\sigma(\alpha) = \alpha,\alpha\omega,\text{or }\alpha\omega^2$

and only one of these is real, it must be that $\sigma(\alpha) = \alpha$.

Nice solution. What is wrong with mine? Also, given my arguments, do you think I am right to claim at least half the question?

Fantini said:
Okay. Thank you! :)

Edit: Why does it not prove that $\sigma (\alpha) = \alpha$? Since $\sigma$ is surjective we have that there is some $k \in K$ such that $\sigma (k) = \alpha$. Suppose $k \in \mathbb{Q}$. We already showed that $\sigma (k) = k$ for that case, but $\alpha \notin \mathbb{Q}$, therefore it can't be rational. If it can't be rational, the only possibility, since $\sigma$ is injective, is that $\sigma (\alpha) = \alpha$.

In other words, I don't mind being wrong. Mistakes is where I learn most. But I need know WHERE exactly I am going wrong. What is the problem with my reasoning? Am I using faulty assumptions? Is doing $(a+b \alpha + c \alpha^2)^3$ the only way? Thanks.
$\sigma(k)=\alpha \Rightarrow k \not \in \mathbb{Q}$. This is good. But this doesn't imply that $k=\alpha$. $k$ could be $\alpha^2$ or $1+\alpha$ or $1+2\alpha+\alpha^2$ or anything like that. So here's where the proof needs work. Denevo has provided a nice solution above.

Fantini said:
Nice solution. What is wrong with mine? Also, given my arguments, do you think I am right to claim at least half the question?

it is not, in general true, that if E = F(a) that if an automorphism of E fixes F it must fix a as well (since it's the "only thing left").

to see this, look at C = R(i).

the automorphism x+yi --> x-yi fixes R, but does NOT fix i.

you MUST prove that the image of $\alpha$ is $\alpha$ (and not something which perhaps might work as well like $-\alpha$ or $1/\alpha$ which is the case for SOME extension fields).

any automorphism of an extension of Q necessarily fixes Q (because Q is the prime field of characteristic 0). this is basic, and is not the "real meat" of the problem.

Good explanation. I haven't acquired a firm grip with this subject yet, but your examples and details are helping a good deal. Thanks! (Handshake)

1. What is field isomorphism?

Field isomorphism is a concept in abstract algebra that refers to a bijective map between two fields that preserves the field operations of addition and multiplication. This means that the map takes elements from one field to another in a way that maintains the underlying structure of the fields.

2. Why is it important to prove field isomorphism?

Proving field isomorphism is important because it allows us to establish a one-to-one correspondence between two fields, which can help us understand the relationship between them. It also allows us to transfer information and properties from one field to another, which can be useful in solving mathematical problems.

3. How do you prove that $\sigma (x) = x$ for $x \in K$ is a field isomorphism?

To prove that $\sigma (x) = x$ for $x \in K$ is a field isomorphism, we need to show that it is a bijective map and that it preserves the field operations of addition and multiplication. This involves proving that $\sigma$ is injective, surjective, and that $\sigma(a + b) = \sigma(a) + \sigma(b)$ and $\sigma(ab) = \sigma(a)\sigma(b)$ for all $a, b \in K$.

4. Can you give an example of a field isomorphism?

One example of a field isomorphism is the map $\sigma: \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}$ defined by $\sigma(x) = x$ for all $x \in \mathbb{R}$. This map takes real numbers to themselves and preserves addition and multiplication, making it a field isomorphism.

5. How is field isomorphism related to other mathematical concepts?

Field isomorphism is closely related to other concepts in abstract algebra, such as group isomorphism and ring isomorphism. It is also related to the concept of a field extension, which involves extending a field by adding new elements that satisfy certain properties. Field isomorphisms can help us understand and classify these extensions.