Proving Abelian Property of Groups Using the Hypothesis ab=ca

• Thread starter nataliemarie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of proving that a group with the property of b=c whenever ab=ca is abelian. The individual has started by solving for b and c using inverses and setting them equal, but is having trouble progressing further. A suggestion is made to assume that G is not abelian and to try proving that b equals c if ab=ca.
nataliemarie
I have a homework problem that states: Let G be a group with the following property: Whenever a,b and c belong to G and ab = ca, then b=c. Prove that G is abelian.

I started with the hypothesis ab=ca and solved for b and c using inverses. I found b=(a-1)ca and c=ab(a-1). Because the hypothesis says b=c I set them equal. (a-1)ca=ab(a-1). But I'm having trouble getting anywhere useful after that. Hints or suggestions if I'm on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose G is Abelian and it doesn't have that property. Show a contradiction that G must not be Abelian.

Can you show a contradiction?

So I should try assuming its not abelian and try proving that if ab=ca, then b equals c??

nataliemarie said:
So I should try assuming its not abelian and try proving that if ab=ca, then b equals c??

Suppose G is Abelian and it doesn't have that property.

I already wrote the first line for you.

Start with [tex]aba^{-1}=c[/tex] (c is just some element of the group). Now, if you right-multiply by a, and apply the hypothesis, what do you conclude?

1. What is group commutativity?

Group commutativity, also known as abelian property, is a mathematical concept that describes the condition where the order of the elements in a group does not affect the outcome of the operation. In other words, for a group to be commutative, the operation between any two elements must yield the same result regardless of the order in which the elements are used.

2. How do you prove group commutativity?

To prove group commutativity, you must show that for any two elements a and b in the group, a * b = b * a, where * represents the group operation. This can be done by applying the group axioms, such as associativity, identity element, and inverse element, to manipulate the equation until both sides are equal.

3. What are some examples of commutative groups?

Some examples of commutative groups include the group of integers under addition, the group of real numbers under multiplication, and the group of positive rational numbers under multiplication. Additionally, the group of 2x2 matrices with real entries under matrix multiplication is also commutative.

4. Can a group be partially commutative?

Yes, a group can be partially commutative, meaning that some elements in the group commute with each other while others do not. An example of this is the dihedral group, which is commutative for rotations but not for reflections.

5. Are all finite groups commutative?

No, not all finite groups are commutative. In fact, most finite groups are not commutative. An example of a non-commutative finite group is the symmetric group, which consists of all permutations of a finite set and is non-commutative for n ≥ 3 elements.