1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving limit statement using delta-epsilon definition

1. Sep 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For all [itex]x\in R[/itex] , [itex]f(x)>0[/itex] . Using precise definition of limits and infinite limits, prove that [itex]\lim_{x\to a}f(x)=\infty[/itex] if and only if [itex]\lim_{x\to a}\frac{1}{f(x)}=0 [/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know the precise definition of limits and infinite limits but I cannot see how they can be applied in this case. Also this is biconditional statement so I guess I gotta deduce 2 sub-proofs before drawing the conclusion. Ok that's all I've thought of this far, any hints would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x\to\,a}\frac{1}{f(x)}=0 \,,[/itex] then restate this using δ - ε language.

That should get you started.

4. Sep 10, 2012 #3
    Ok here's my working for the first part, that is if [itex]\lim_{x\to a}\frac{1}{f(x)}=0 [/itex] then [itex]\lim_{x\to a}f(x)=\infty[/itex].

Since [itex]\lim_{x\to a}\frac{1}{f(x)}=0 [/itex] exists,
    if we let ε > 0, then there exists a δ such that
    [itex]0 < \left| {x - a} \right| < \delta \Rightarrow \frac{1}{{\left| {f(x)} \right|}} < \varepsilon[/itex]

Choose [itex]M=\frac{1}{ε}[/itex] > 0, then
    [itex]0 < \left| {x - a} \right| < \delta \Rightarrow \frac{1}{{\left| {f(x)} \right|}} < \frac{1}{{{M}}}\\
    0 < \left| {x - a} \right| < \delta \Rightarrow \left|f(x)\right| > M[/itex]

How could I get rid of the modulus of [itex]f(x)[/itex] in this case?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  5. Sep 11, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's almost there.

(I'm still talking about the first part of the proof here.)

What is the definition for [itex]\lim_{x\to a}f(x)=\infty\ ?[/itex] In other words how do we show that [itex]\lim_{x\to a}f(x)=\infty\ ?[/itex]

You need to show that, given any M > 0, there exists a δ such the f(x) > M, whenever 0 < |x-a| < δ .

So, to begin the proof, let M > 0.

Then let ε = 1/M.

Since you are assuming that [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x\to a}\frac{1}{f(x)}=0 [/itex], you can get your δ which makes [itex]\displaystyle \frac{1}{f(x)}<\varepsilon= \frac{1}{M} \ \ \dots[/itex]

6. Sep 11, 2012 #5
    When it comes to this kind of problem I always try to manipulate f(x) to the form of |x-a| before choosing a δ that works. But in this generalized case how am I supposed to do that?

7. Sep 11, 2012 #6
    Drawar, the technique of manipulating the form of |f(x) - L| and so on is a good one for trying to estimate the [itex]\epsilon[/itex]'s and [itex]\delta[/itex]'s you need. But eventually you have to understand what your goal is, and what you need to find.

As SammyS said:
    You begin by having a general M > 0, for which you need to find a suitable [itex]\delta[/itex], so that for each x satisfying [itex]|x-a| < \delta[/itex], f(x) > M holds.
    But f(x) > M means: [itex]\frac{1}{f(x)}< \frac{1}{M}[/itex]. Can you find such a [itex]\delta[/itex] that will ensure that? I bet you can -- it's very much implied from your assumption on [itex]\frac{1}{f(x)}[/itex]....
    Hope this helps!

8. Sep 12, 2012 #7
    But how should we choose such a δ? In terms of ε or M? Sorry you guys but I don't really get what you said. I thought after letting ε=1/M then the proof is completed.

9. Sep 12, 2012 #8

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, this is a different sort of problem.

You're not give a specific function to manipulate in the way you describe.

You assume that [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x\to\,a}\frac{1}{f(x)}=0[/itex] is true.

Now to show that [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x\to\,a}f(x)=\infty\ ,[/itex] you need to prove that given any M > 0, (no matter how large) , there exists a δ such that f(x) > M whenever 0<|x-a|<0 .

Use 1/M as your ε. Then using this 1/M as ε with [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x\to\,a}\frac{1}{f(x)}=0[/itex] find a delta. Show the this δ works with M for [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x\to\,a}f(x)=\infty\ .[/itex]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  10. Sep 12, 2012 #9
    Well - that's exactly it! You need to promise me you can find such a delta - even without specifying it!
    So by choosing, as you and others mentioned, ε = 1/M, you can say, according to your assumption, that there exists a δ (let's call it δ'!), so that for every x satisfying |x-a| < δ',
    [itex]\frac{1}{f(x)} < \epsilon[/itex] holds...
    This δ' is what you need....

11. Sep 12, 2012 #10
    So the (<=) proof would look like this, right?

Let M > 0 and let ε=1/M > 0
    Since [itex]\lim_{x\to a}\frac{1}{f(x)}=0 [/itex] exists, then there exists a δ such that
    [itex]0 < \left| {x - a} \right| < \delta \Rightarrow \frac{1}{{\left| {f(x)} \right|}} < \varepsilon[/itex]
    [itex]0 < \left| {x - a} \right| < \delta \Rightarrow \frac{1}{{ {f(x)}}} < \frac{1}{{{M}}}\\
    0 < \left| {x - a} \right| < \delta \Rightarrow f(x) > M[/itex]
    this means [itex]\lim_{x\to a}f(x)=\infty[/itex]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  12. Sep 12, 2012 #11
    Looks perfect to me ;)
    You could sum up by saying: for every M > 0 we have therefore found a δ > 0, so that for every x satisfying |x - a| < δ, f(x) > M holds - which makes it perfect and shows that you know what you're doing - but the important thing is that you understood the logic of it!

13. Sep 12, 2012 #12
    Hell yeah thank you so much!!!
    Ok for the (=>) proof, I think just let M=1/ε and do everything backwards. Am I right?

14. Sep 12, 2012 #13
    Yup, sounds about right ;) Make sure you formulate it logically and you have it...

15. Sep 12, 2012 #14
    Thank you guys for all of your kind help and guidance. :) Finally figured it out now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook