Proving Limits: How to Show x^x Approaches Infinity as x Approaches Infinity?

• MHB
  • Thread starter FallArk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary: That idea works (your inequality is valid for $x > 1$), but that's not what I meant. What I meant is the following. Suppose $L = \lim\limits_{x\to \infty} x^x$. Then $\ln L = \lim\limits_{x\to \infty} \ln(x^x) = \lim\limits_{x\to \infty} x\ln x$. Prove $\lim\limits_{x\to \infty} x\ln x = \infty$. Then $L = \infty$.
FallArk
\(\displaystyle \log_{e}\left({x}\right)\to-\infty\) as \(\displaystyle x\to{0}^{+}\)
\(\displaystyle {x}^{x}\to\infty\) as \(\displaystyle x\to\infty\)

I know how to prove that \(\displaystyle \log_{e}\left({x}\right)\) approaches \(\displaystyle \infty\) as x approaches \(\displaystyle \infty\) by using the definition given in the book, not sure how to use that to prove the first problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi FallArk,

In the first problem, set $y = 1/x$. Then $y \to \infty$ as $x \to 0+$, and $\log_e x = -\log_e y$. So it suffices to compute $\lim\limits_{y\to \infty} -\log y$. For the second problem, compute the limit of $\ln(x^x) = x\ln x$ first.

Euge said:
Hi FallArk,

In the first problem, set $y = 1/x$. Then $y \to \infty$ as $x \to 0+$, and $\log_e x = -\log_e y$. So it suffices to compute $\lim\limits_{y\to \infty} -\log y$. For the second problem, compute the limit of $\ln(x^x) = x\ln x$ first.

I'm still a bit confused about the second problem. is it using the idea that \(\displaystyle {x}^{x}\) > xlnx and by limit comparison \(\displaystyle {x}^{x} \implies \infty\)

FallArk said:
I'm still a bit confused about the second problem. is it using the idea that \(\displaystyle {x}^{x}\) > xlnx and by limit comparison \(\displaystyle {x}^{x} \implies \infty\)

Perhaps we can simplify it a bit.
For $x>1$ we have that $x^x >x$.
So if $x\to\infty$ so does $x^x\to\infty$.

FallArk said:
That idea works (your inequality is valid for $x > 1$), but that's not what I meant. What I meant is the following. Suppose $L = \lim\limits_{x\to \infty} x^x$. Then $\ln L = \lim\limits_{x\to \infty} \ln(x^x) = \lim\limits_{x\to \infty} x\ln x$. Prove $\lim\limits_{x\to \infty} x\ln x = \infty$. Then $L = \infty$.

Related to Proving Limits: How to Show x^x Approaches Infinity as x Approaches Infinity?

1. How do I prove the limit of a function?

The most common way to prove the limit of a function is by using the epsilon-delta definition of a limit. This involves showing that for any small value of epsilon, there exists a corresponding value of delta such that the function's output is within epsilon distance of the limit for all input values within delta distance from the limit point.

2. Can I use algebraic manipulation to prove a limit?

Yes, algebraic manipulation can be used to prove a limit. This method involves manipulating the function algebraically until it is in a form that is easier to evaluate the limit. This can include factoring, simplifying, or using known limit rules.

3. Is it necessary to use the squeeze theorem to prove a limit?

No, the squeeze theorem is not always necessary to prove a limit. However, it can be a useful tool for proving limits that are difficult to evaluate directly or when other methods do not work.

4. What is the difference between a one-sided and two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of the function as it approaches the limit point from one side, either from the left or the right. A two-sided limit looks at the behavior of the function from both sides and requires the function to approach the same limit value from both directions.

5. Can I use a graph to prove a limit?

While a graph can provide visual evidence for a limit, it is not considered a formal proof. A graph can help in understanding the behavior of a function near a limit point, but to prove the limit, other methods such as the epsilon-delta definition must be used.