Proving on modulus and conjugates

• Thread starter irony of truth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Modulus
In summary, the student is questioning why their strategy of using |Re z| <= |z| and |Im z| <= |z| to show that |Re z| + |Im z| <= 2|z| is incorrect. The professor explains that while it may be an upper bound, it is not the least upper bound. The student is advised to try squaring both sides and using z=x+iy as a first step.
irony of truth
I am proving that (sqrt)2 |z| >= |Re z| + |Im z|. The professor gave this as an example, but I want to ask something...

Why is it that I can't use this strategy:
-> |Re z| <= |z|
-> |Im z| <= |z|
-> adding corresponding expression yields |Re z| + |Im z| <= 2|z|. (what's wrong here?)

Physics news on Phys.org
irony of truth said:
-> |Re z| <= |z|
-> |Im z| <= |z|
-> adding corresponding expression yields |Re z| + |Im z| <= 2|z|. (what's wrong here?)

You can't use it because [itex]|Re z|+|Im z| \leq 2|z|[/itex] simply does not imply that [itex]|Re z| + |Im z| \leq \sqrt{2}|z|[/itex]. Simple example: Say [itex]|Re z|+|Im z|=1.5[/itex]. The first inequality is satisfied, but the second is not.

Try squaring both sides.

irony of truth said:
I am proving that (sqrt)2 |z| >= |Re z| + |Im z|. The professor gave this as an example, but I want to ask something...
-> |Re z| <= |z|
-> |Im z| <= |z|

That is an upper bound for |Re z| + |Im z|, but not the least upper bound. Try squaring both sides.

Oh yeah, put z=x+iy first.

1. What is modulus and conjugate in mathematical terms?

Modulus refers to the absolute value of a complex number, which is the distance of the number from zero on the complex plane. Conjugate, on the other hand, is the complex number with the same real part but an opposite imaginary part.

2. Why is it important to prove on modulus and conjugates?

Proving on modulus and conjugates is important because it allows us to simplify and manipulate complex numbers in a more efficient and accurate manner. It also helps in solving complex equations and understanding the properties of complex numbers.

3. How do you prove on modulus and conjugates?

To prove on modulus and conjugates, we can use the properties of complex numbers, such as the distributive, commutative, and associative properties, as well as the properties of modulus and conjugates themselves. We can also use algebraic techniques, such as substitution and factoring, to simplify equations involving modulus and conjugates.

4. Can we prove on modulus and conjugates for all types of complex numbers?

Yes, we can prove on modulus and conjugates for all types of complex numbers, including real numbers, imaginary numbers, and complex numbers with both real and imaginary parts. The properties of modulus and conjugates hold true for all types of complex numbers.

5. What are some real-world applications of proving on modulus and conjugates?

Proving on modulus and conjugates has various applications in science and engineering, such as in signal processing, electrical circuit analysis, and quantum mechanics. It can also be used in computer graphics and cryptography to manipulate and secure complex data. In addition, understanding modulus and conjugates can help in solving problems involving vectors and matrices in physics and mathematics.