Proving Openness of Subset of S in R2

• Thread starter frankli
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses using the definition of an open set to prove that the subset S = {(x, y)∈ R2 | 0 <x< 1, 1< y<2} in the Euclidean space R2 is open. The discussion involves finding a value for r that satisfies the definition of an open set for all points in S and showing that the open ball with radius r is contained within S. The conversation also addresses the need to prove that p also belongs to the set S, which can be done by showing that 0<p1<1 and 1<p2<2.
frankli

Homework Statement

Using the definition of an open set, prove that the subset of S ={(x, y)∈ R2 | 0 <x< 1, 1< y<2} the Euclidean space R2 is open.

The Attempt at a Solution

The definition I learned is a set S [tex]\subset[/tex] Rn is said to be open in Rn if for all x[tex]\in[/tex] S, [tex]\exists[/tex] r greater than 0, such that every point y [tex]\in[/tex] Rn satisfying ||x-y|| < r also belongs to S.
So, what I think is choose r =x for all x ∈ S, there exists r greater than 0, such that if |x1 - x | < r then B(r,x)[tex]\subset[/tex] S, S is open.

but I think it is too simple, I really have no idea how to prove a set open with all the inequalities and functions going on..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to show that r exists, as you defined, for any point in your set...

so say you take
[tex] \textbf{s} = (s,t) \in S = \left\{ (x, y) \in \mathbb{R}^2 | 0 < x < 1, 1< y<2 \right\} [/tex]

now find r, such that for any p = (p,q) with |p-s| < r, then p is also in S

if you can demonstrate this is true for any arbitrary point s of S, then you have shown it is true for every point in S, and so S is open

Last edited:
I don't think what lanedance said about the part where if |p-s| < r, then p is also in S, is true. That's what you're trying to prove. So, you can't assume that. Well, it's true that to show the set S is open, you need to find r such that the open ball about s = (s,t) with radius r is totally contained in S.
One instance of r that I have in mind right now is by letting r = min{s, 1-s, t-1, 2-t} >0. Then, once you've define your r, you need to prove that the open ball is contained in S. To show this, let p = (p1,p2) be an arbitrary point in B(s, r). So, this is implies that d(p, s) < r . Now, with that information, you need to prove that p also belongs to the set S. To do this, you've got to show that 0<p1<1 and 1<p2<2. Once you show this, it implies that p belongs to S by definition. Therefore, the open ball B(s, r) is contained in S.

anlys said:
I don't think what lanedance said about the part where if |p-s| < r, then p is also in S, is true.
yes it is, that is the definition of open in terms of open balls, which seems to be exactly what you have done below

anlys said:
That's what you're trying to prove. So, you can't assume that. Well, it's true that to show the set S is open, you need to find r such that the open ball about s = (s,t) with radius r is totally contained in S.
One instance of r that I have in mind right now is by letting r = min{s, 1-s, t-1, 2-t} >0. Then, once you've define your r, you need to prove that the open ball is contained in S. To show this, let p = (p1,p2) be an arbitrary point in B(s, r). So, this is implies that d(p, s) < r . Now, with that information, you need to prove that p also belongs to the set S. To do this, you've got to show that 0<p1<1 and 1<p2<2. Once you show this, it implies that p belongs to S by definition. Therefore, the open ball B(s, r) is contained in S.

Related to Proving Openness of Subset of S in R2

1. What does it mean to prove openness of a subset of S in R2?

Proving openness of a subset of S in R2 means demonstrating that the subset is an open set in the two-dimensional real number space. This means that for every point in the subset, there exists a small open ball around that point that is also contained within the subset.

2. Why is it important to prove openness of a subset of S in R2?

Proving openness of a subset of S in R2 is important because it allows us to make mathematical statements and proofs about the properties of the subset. Open sets have many useful properties that allow us to analyze and understand functions and other mathematical concepts.

3. What are some common methods used to prove openness of a subset of S in R2?

There are several methods that can be used to prove openness of a subset of S in R2, including the use of epsilon-delta notation, the definition of open sets in metric spaces, and the concept of neighborhoods. These methods involve using mathematical definitions and principles to demonstrate the openness of the subset.

4. Are there any special cases where proving openness of a subset of S in R2 is easier?

Yes, there are some special cases where proving openness of a subset of S in R2 can be easier. For example, if the subset is a convex set, or if it is defined by an equation or inequality that is known to represent an open set, the proof may be simpler than for a more general subset.

5. Is there any software or technology that can assist in proving openness of a subset of S in R2?

While there is no specific software or technology designed specifically for proving openness of a subset of S in R2, there are many mathematical software programs and programming languages that can be used to assist in the calculation and visualization of open sets and their properties. These tools can be helpful in constructing and verifying proofs of openness.