Proving sequence x_t is decreasing

In summary, the conversation discusses the iterative definitions of x_t and y_t, and their properties and conditions. The goal is to prove that x_t is a decreasing sequence while y_t is an increasing one. The suggested approach is to manually walk through the iterations and look for patterns, taking into account the decreasing and concave nature of f(x).
peter60185
Hi, I'm sure x_t is a decreasing sequence while y_t is an increasing one. It feels like it should be simple to prove, but I just can't do it. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks,

Peter

x_t and y_t are defined iteratively by two equations:

1. y_(t+1) = bq x_t + b(1 - q) y _t

2. f[x_(t+1)] = bqf[x_t] + b(1 - q) f[y _t]

IE

2B. x_(t+1) = f^(-1)[bqf[x_t] + b(1 - q) f[y _t]]

Other conditions:

1. f[x] is decreasing and concave
2. x_0 = 1
3. y_0 = 0
4. 0 < q < 1
5. 0 < b < 1
6. f(0) = 1
7. f(1) = 0

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
You say:
##x_t## and ##y_t## are defined iteratively by two equations:

1. ##y_{t+1} = bq x_t + b(1 - q) y_t##

2. ##f(x_{t+1}) = bqf(x_t) + b(1 - q) f(y _t)##

i.e.

2b. ##x_{t+1} = f^{-1}(bqf(x_t) + b(1 - q) f(y_t))##

Other conditions:

1. ##f(x)## is decreasing and concave (in what sense "concave"?)
2. ##x_0 = 1##
3. ##y_0 = 0##
4. ##0 < q < 1##
5. ##0 < b < 1##
6. ##f(0) = 1##
7. ##f(1) = 0##

I'd start out by seeing how far I can walk through the iterations by hand.

##y_1=bq##

##f(x_1)=b(1-q)##

... and so on.
Can you rely on ##f(x_{t+1})<f(x_t)## ?
(meaning of "decreasing and concave" see?)

So ##f(x_{t>1})<b(1-q)## and we know ##b(1-q)<1## and ##bq<1## so anything multiplied by them gets smaller.

Perhaps a pattern will emerge?

What is a decreasing sequence?

A decreasing sequence is a sequence of numbers where each term is less than the previous term. In other words, the numbers in the sequence are getting smaller as the sequence progresses.

How do you prove that a sequence is decreasing?

To prove that a sequence is decreasing, you need to show that each term in the sequence is less than the previous term. This can be done by using mathematical induction, where you show that the statement is true for the first term in the sequence and then show that if it is true for one term, it is also true for the next term.

What is the mathematical notation for a decreasing sequence?

The mathematical notation for a decreasing sequence is x1 > x2 > x3 > ...> xn, where xn represents the nth term in the sequence.

Can a sequence be both increasing and decreasing?

No, a sequence cannot be both increasing and decreasing. A sequence can only be one or the other. However, a sequence can be non-decreasing, where the terms either stay the same or increase, and non-increasing, where the terms either stay the same or decrease.

Why is proving a sequence is decreasing important?

Proving that a sequence is decreasing is important in many mathematical applications, such as in calculus and real analysis. It allows us to make conclusions about the behavior of the sequence, which can then be applied to other mathematical problems and concepts.