Understanding existence theorem of (strong) solution of SDE

In summary, the theorem states that if the stochastic differential equation has strong solutions, then there is a sequence of solutions that converges to a particular solution. The assumptions in the theorem are that the solutions are jointly measurable and adapted to a filtration. The iterative scheme used to find the solution is introduced, and it is shown that the solution is a martingale if the drift term is zero. However, this solution is not a martingale if the drift term is nonzero.
Paalfaal
I'm currently working my way through the existence theorem of strong solutions for the stochastic differential equation
## X_t = X_0 + \int_0^t b(s,X_s)ds + \int_0^t \sigma(s,X_s)Bs ##,
Where ## \int_0^t \sigma(s,X_s)Bs ## is the Ito integral. The assumptions are:
1: ## b,\sigma ## are jointly measurable and adapted to the filtration ## \{ \mathcal{F}_t\}_{t\geq0} ## .
2: ## b,\sigma ## satisfy the Lipschitz- and linear growth bound conditions.
3: ## \left| | X_0 | \right|_{L^2(\Omega)} < \infty ## and ## X_0 ## is ## \mathcal{F}_0##-measurable.
The iterative scheme
##
\begin{align}
\begin{cases}
X_t^0 &= X_0, \\
X_t^{n+1} &= X_0 + \int_0^t b(s,X_s^{n})ds + \int_0^t \sigma(s,X_s^{n}) dB_s,
\end{cases}
\end{align}
##
is introduced. A bit into the proof we need to use Doobs martingale inequality on ##X_t^{n+1} - X_t^n ##. My problem is that I fail to see how the previous expression is a martingale (wrt the filtration ## \{ \mathcal{F}_t\}_{t\geq0} ##). I know it suffices to show that ## X_t^n ## is a martingale. It is true that the Ito integral is a martingale, but what happens with the Lebesgue (or Riemann) integral? I have read the proof in several textbooks (Øksendal, Klöden-Platen, Kuo), none of the argued explicitly why ## X_t^n ## is a martingale, but all og them use Doobs martingale inequality.

By the assumptions it seems clear that ## X_0 ## is a martingale, but the Lebesgue integral seems to get in the way of proving it for general ## n ##.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I was wrong in two spots; Klöden-Platen does not use Doobs martingale inequality, but rather the 'Markov inequality':
## P(|X| > a) \leq \frac{1}{a^r}E[|X|^r] ##
for ##a,r > 0 ##. And thus I don't need to show that ##X_t^n## is a martingale. Moreover, Kuo uses 'Doobs submartingale inequality'. Still, I don't understand how ## X_t^n ## can be a martingale..

Last edited:
I would appreciate it if someone could clear up the martingale problem: The SDE

## X_t = X_0 + \int_0^t b(s,X_s)ds + \int_0^t \sigma(s,X_s)dB_s ##

as I understand it, is NOT a martingale wrt ## \{ \mathcal{F}_t:t\in [0,T] \} ## unless the drift term ## b(t,x) ## is zero. In Theorem 10.2.2 in the textbook "Klöden-Platen:Numerical solution to stochastic differential equations(1990)" the Doob inequality is used in eqns (10.2.14),(10,2,15). The Doob inequality reads

## E\big[ \sup\limits_{0\leq s\leq T} |X_s|^p \big] \leq \Big(\frac{p}{p-1}\Big)^p E\big[ |X_t|^p \big]. ##

But this inequality is only true for martingales, and ## X_t ## is not a martingale wrt ## \{ \mathcal{F}_t:t\in [0,T] \} ##. There are two possibilities:

1. The book is wrong (which I highly doubt)
2. I am wrong, and ## X_t ## is a martingale.

Please help!

Related to Understanding existence theorem of (strong) solution of SDE

1. What is the difference between a strong solution and a weak solution of a SDE?

A strong solution of a stochastic differential equation (SDE) is a process that satisfies the SDE almost surely for all initial conditions, while a weak solution satisfies the SDE only in expectation. In other words, a strong solution is a more strict and precise definition compared to a weak solution.

2. What is the existence theorem for strong solutions of SDEs?

The existence theorem for strong solutions of SDEs guarantees the existence of a unique strong solution to an SDE under certain conditions. These conditions usually involve the coefficients and initial conditions of the SDE being continuous and satisfying certain growth conditions.

3. How is the existence theorem for strong solutions of SDEs proved?

The proof of the existence theorem for strong solutions of SDEs involves using a combination of analytical techniques, such as Picard iteration, and probabilistic techniques, such as the Kolmogorov forward equation and the Itô formula. The exact method used may vary depending on the specific SDE and its coefficients.

4. What are the implications of the existence theorem for strong solutions of SDEs?

The existence theorem for strong solutions of SDEs is an important result in the theory of stochastic processes. It allows us to prove the existence of solutions to many important SDEs, which have applications in various fields such as finance, physics, and biology. It also provides a rigorous framework for studying the behavior of these solutions.

5. Can the existence theorem for strong solutions of SDEs be extended to more general cases?

Yes, the existence theorem for strong solutions of SDEs can be extended to more general cases where the coefficients and initial conditions may not satisfy the standard continuity and growth conditions. This is achieved by using more advanced techniques, such as the theory of rough paths and Young integration, to define and study the solutions of the SDE.