Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding existence theorem of (strong) solution of SDE

1. Nov 13, 2014 #1
    I'm currently working my way through the existence theorem of strong solutions for the stochastic differential equation
    ## X_t = X_0 + \int_0^t b(s,X_s)ds + \int_0^t \sigma(s,X_s)Bs ##,
    Where ## \int_0^t \sigma(s,X_s)Bs ## is the Ito integral. The assumptions are:
    1: ## b,\sigma ## are jointly measurable and adapted to the filtration ## \{ \mathcal{F}_t\}_{t\geq0} ## .
    2: ## b,\sigma ## satisfy the Lipschitz- and linear growth bound conditions.
    3: ## \left| | X_0 | \right|_{L^2(\Omega)} < \infty ## and ## X_0 ## is ## \mathcal{F}_0##-measurable.
    The iterative scheme
    ##
    \begin{align}
    \begin{cases}
    X_t^0 &= X_0, \\
    X_t^{n+1} &= X_0 + \int_0^t b(s,X_s^{n})ds + \int_0^t \sigma(s,X_s^{n}) dB_s,
    \end{cases}
    \end{align}
    ##
    is introduced. A bit into the proof we need to use Doobs martingale inequality on ##X_t^{n+1} - X_t^n ##. My problem is that I fail to see how the previous expression is a martingale (wrt the filtration ## \{ \mathcal{F}_t\}_{t\geq0} ##). I know it suffices to show that ## X_t^n ## is a martingale. It is true that the Ito integral is a martingale, but what happens with the Lebesgue (or Riemann) integral? I have read the proof in several textbooks (Øksendal, Klöden-Platen, Kuo), none of the argued explicitly why ## X_t^n ## is a martingale, but all og them use Doobs martingale inequality.

By the assumptions it seems clear that ## X_0 ## is a martingale, but the Lebesgue integral seems to get in the way of proving it for general ## n ##.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2014 #2
    Sorry, I was wrong in two spots; Klöden-Platen does not use Doobs martingale inequality, but rather the 'Markov inequality':
    ## P(|X| > a) \leq \frac{1}{a^r}E[|X|^r] ##
    for ##a,r > 0 ##. And thus I don't need to show that ##X_t^n## is a martingale. Moreover, Kuo uses 'Doobs submartingale inequality'. Still, I don't understand how ## X_t^n ## can be a martingale..

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  4. Dec 21, 2014 #3
    I would appreciate it if someone could clear up the martingale problem: The SDE

## X_t = X_0 + \int_0^t b(s,X_s)ds + \int_0^t \sigma(s,X_s)dB_s ##

as I understand it, is NOT a martingale wrt ## \{ \mathcal{F}_t:t\in [0,T] \} ## unless the drift term ## b(t,x) ## is zero. In Theorem 10.2.2 in the textbook "Klöden-Platen:Numerical solution to stochastic differential equations(1990)" the Doob inequality is used in eqns (10.2.14),(10,2,15). The Doob inequality reads

## E\big[ \sup\limits_{0\leq s\leq T} |X_s|^p \big] \leq \Big(\frac{p}{p-1}\Big)^p E\big[ |X_t|^p \big]. ##

But this inequality is only true for martingales, and ## X_t ## is not a martingale wrt ## \{ \mathcal{F}_t:t\in [0,T] \} ##. There are two possibilities:

1. The book is wrong (which I highly doubt)
    2. I am wrong, and ## X_t ## is a martingale.

Please help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook