Proving Symmetry of AAT: Is it Possible?

  • Thread starter Thread starter KillerZ
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Matrix Symmetric
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 13K views
KillerZ
Messages
116
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A matrix S is symmetric if S = ST. Show that AAT is symmetric for any matrix A.

Homework Equations



AAT = (AT)TAT

The Attempt at a Solution



I just said:

A = (AT)T and AT = AT

Therefore AAT is symmetric.

I am unsure if that proves it or if I just went in a circle proving nothing.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If [tex]A, B[/tex] are any matrices, how do you simplify the following expression?

[tex] \left(AB\right)^T[/tex]

Apply that answer to simplify

[tex] A A^T[/tex]

and use the hints you provided
 
Ok I think this is right.

(AB)T = BTAT

Then (AAT)T = AAT

Therefore AAT is symmetric because (AT)T = A and AT = AT.
 
I think you have the correct idea. the 'conventional' way of finishing the proof would be to write everything in one string rather than stopping midstream - I have no idea how
picky your professor would be in that regard.