1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra : Doing a proof with a square matrix

1. Feb 15, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that all square matrix (A whatever) can be written as the sum of a symmetric matrix and a anti symmetric matrix.

2. Relevant equations

I think this relation might be relevant : $$
    A=\frac{1}{2}*(A+A^{T})+\frac{1}{2}*(A-A^{T})
    $$
    3. The attempt at a solution

I know that we have the following theorems : A square matrix "A" is symmetric if and only if $$A^T=A$$

and

A square matrix "A" is anti symmetric if and only if $$A^T=-A$$

But besides that I'm not sure where to go.... Any hints ?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2016 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why don't you check to see if your proposed equation does it?

4. Feb 15, 2016 #3
    Sorry I'm not following you. You mean I must reduce my equation ? We get for example :

$$2A=(A+A^T)+(A-A^T)$$

5. Feb 15, 2016 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

That's not what LC said. Read it again, carefully. It contains already all that can be said.

6. Feb 15, 2016 #5
    To be honest I'm not sure of understanding the problem. I think that I must get this as a result : $$A = A + A^T$$

Am I right or not ?

7. Feb 15, 2016 #6

fresh_42

Write it ##A=B+C## and see if you already have ##B## and ##C## with the desired properties.

8. Feb 15, 2016 #7
    Ok, so if I use my equation I set the following equations which : $$B = \frac{1}{2}*(A+A^{T})$$

and $$C=\frac{1}{2}*(A-A^{T})$$

Is this where you go ?

9. Feb 15, 2016 #8

fresh_42

Yep, just collect it.

10. Feb 15, 2016 #9
    Ok, sorry but I'm not understanding the problem at all right now. I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to get as a final result... It says that I must have a sum of a symmetric and anti symmetric matrix. So... how does what I just did helpt exactly ?

11. Feb 15, 2016 #10

fresh_42

Is ##B## symmetric and ##C## anti-symmetric as defined above?

12. Feb 15, 2016 #11
    Ok I understand what you'Re saying. You'Re saying that B and C are respectively symmetric and anti symmetric. But how do I know that they are ? Must I prove that the sum in B is symmetric while the difference in C is anti symmetric ?

13. Feb 15, 2016 #12

fresh_42

Yes. Put a big bracket around them, right a big T on the right one above and resolve the brackets.

14. Feb 15, 2016 #13
    You want this, for example :

$$B=\frac{1}{2}*(A+A^{T})$$

then

$$B^T=(\frac{1}{2}*(A+A^{T}))^T$$

and I do the same for C.

15. Feb 15, 2016 #14

fresh_42

Yes, but what is ##B^T=(\frac{1}{2}*(A+A^{T}))^T##? It must equal ##B##. And the version with ##C^T## has to be ##-C##. Do you know why this is the case?

16. Feb 15, 2016 #15
    I didn't get B though.

I got this : $$B^T=1/2*(A^T + A)$$

That was my end result.

17. Feb 15, 2016 #16

fresh_42

And if you put all together you have for ##A=B+C= 1/2(A+A^T)+1/2(A-A^T)## (in very detailed form):
    ## B^T=(1/2*(A + A^T))^T= 1/2*(A^T + (A^T)^T)=1/2*(A^T+A)=1/2*(A+A^T) = B##
    and similar with ##C##.

18. Feb 15, 2016 #17
    Ok yeah I ended up with $$C^T=-C$$

19. Feb 15, 2016 #18
    Ok,

so i did the following $$A=1/2(A + A^T) + 1/2(A-A^T)$$

I applied the T on the whole of this...

I got $$A^T=1/2*(A+A^T) - 1/2 (A-A^T)$$

20. Feb 15, 2016 #19

fresh_42

Ok then, you're probably blocked. That happens from time to time. (I have asked one of the silliest questions at all myself a couple of hours ago.)

You have ##A= 1/2*(A+A^T) + 1/2*(A-A^T)##.
    You need to show that ##A## is a sum of a symmetric and a anti-symmetric matrix.
    You already have a sum (the plus sign in the middle).
    All you need to show is that the first term is symmetric, i.e. ##[1/2*(A+A^T)]^T=1/2*(A+A^T)##.
    We did this for ##B## which was only another name for ##1/2*(A+A^T)##.
    And you need to show that the second term is anti-symmetric, i.e. ##[1/2*(A-A^T)]^T=1/2*(A^T-A)= - 1/2*(A-A^T)##
    We did this for ##C## which was only another name for ##1/2*(A-A^T)##.

It's nothing left to do.

And if you still don't see what it is about, then let it rest for a day and have another look at it tomorrow.

21. Feb 15, 2016 #20
    I think I understood. Just another question for C. We know that C is anti symmetric because when we tranpose it we obtain $$C^T=-C$$ and we know there's a theorem which says if we obtian this then our square matrix is anti symmetric, right ?

After Ive tranposed the B and C I know that my sum is a sum of symmetric and anti symmetric.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted