1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving that the Guassian Distribution integral converges to 1

1. Nov 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that the integral of the Guassian Distribution converges to 1:

[tex]\int_{- \infty}^{\infty} \frac{1}{\sigma \sqrt{2 \pi}} e^{- \frac{(x- \mu )^2}{2 \sigma ^2}} dx = 1[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

none

3. The attempt at a solution

So I get that I can pull the constants out for the first step, but I have no clue where to go from there. I looked online for a solution and read about having to convert it to polar or something to solve it so now I am really confused. I thought it might work with a simple substitution, one that I just can't think of.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2009 #2
    There's another double integral trick you can do, which is a little bit easier. When you have

[tex]I = \int dx e^{-x^2} [/tex]
    and
    [tex] I^2 = \int dx \int dy e^{-x^2 - y^2} [/tex]

do a substitution y = x s, dy = x ds.

4. Nov 17, 2009 #3
    So basically, it ends up like:

[tex]
    I^2 = \frac{1}{\sigma \sqrt{\pi}} \int dx \int e^{- \frac{(x- \mu )^2}{2 \sigma ^2} - y^2} dy
    [/tex]

But now I'm having trouble with the substitution. Would my substitution look like this?

[tex]
    y = \frac{(x- \mu )}{2 \sigma} s
    [/tex]

[tex]
    dy = \frac{(x- \mu )}{2 \sigma} ds
    [/tex]

Then I get this:

[tex]
    I^2 = \frac{1}{\sigma \sqrt{\pi}} \int dx \int \frac{(x- \mu )}{2 \sigma} e^{- \frac{(x- \mu )^2}{2 \sigma ^2} - (\frac{(x- \mu )}{2 \sigma} s)^2} ds
    [/tex]

I feel like I'm doing something horribly wrong and making it more complicated, pardon my ignorance. Thanks for your help so far though, I appreciate it.

5. Nov 17, 2009 #4
    To make it work since the constant is

[tex]\frac{1}{\sigma \sqrt{2 \pi}}[/tex]

I need the integral to equal

[tex]\sigma \sqrt{2 \pi}[/tex]

for it to equal 1

6. Nov 17, 2009 #5
    Get rid of all the constants first. Notice that you can shift x-mu to x since you're integrating over the entire real line, and then do a substitution to make exponential of the form e^(-x^2).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook