Proving the existence of the arithmetic-geometric mean

In summary, the given problem asks to prove that the sequences ##a_n## and ##b_n##, which are defined in terms of each other and are both convergent, have the same limit. A proof by contradiction is used, but a direct proof is possible as well. The key argument is that the limits of the sequences must be equal, leading to a contradiction if they are not. The attempt at a solution is shown to be correct with no logical leaps.
NascentComp

Homework Statement

[itex][/itex]
Given:
1. [itex]a_{1} < b_{1}[/itex]
2. [itex]a_{n} = \sqrt{a_{n-1}b_{n-1}}[/itex]
3. [itex]b_{n} = \frac{a_{n-1} + B_{n-1}}{2}[/itex]
4. The sequences [itex]a_{n}[/itex] and [itex]b_{n}[/itex] are convergent.

Prove: The sequences [itex]a_{n}[/itex] and [itex]b_{n}[/itex] have the same limit.

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume by contradiction that [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty}a_{n} = l_{a}[/itex] and [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty}b_{n} = l_{b}[/itex] and [itex]l_{a} \neq l_{b}[/itex].

Because [itex]b_{n} = \frac{a_{n-1} + B_{n-1}}{2}[/itex], we can write [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty}b_{n} = \lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{a_{n-1} + B_{n-1}}{2}[/itex].

From arithmetic of limits, we have [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{a_{n-1} + B_{n-1}}{2} = \frac{1}{2} (\lim_{n\to\infty}a_{n-1} + \lim_{n\to\infty}B_{n-1})[/itex].

For all [itex]n \ge 2[/itex], the sequences [itex]a_{n}[/itex] and [itex]a_{n-1}[/itex] are identical. Thus their limit is identical, [itex]l_{a}[/itex].

The same is true of the sequences [itex]b_{n}[/itex] and [itex]b_{n-1}[/itex]. Thus their limit is identical too, [itex]l_{b}[/itex].

Thus, [itex]\frac{1}{2} (\lim_{n\to\infty}a_{n-1} + \lim_{n\to\infty}B_{n-1}) = \frac{1}{2} (l_{a} + l_{b})[/itex].

We assumed, by way of contradiction, that [itex]l_{a} \neq l_{b}[/itex], that is either [itex]l_{a} < l_{b}[/itex] or [itex]l_{a} > l_{b}[/itex].

Assuming [itex]l_{a} < l_{b}[/itex], we get [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty}b_{n} = \frac{1}{2} (l_{a} + l_{b}) < \frac{2l_{b}}{2} = l_{b}[/itex].

Assuming [itex]l_{a} > l_{b}[/itex], we get [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty}b_{n} = \frac{1}{2} (l_{a} + l_{b}) > \frac{2l_{b}}{2} = l_{b}[/itex].

Thus, if [itex]l_{a} \neq l_{b}[/itex], then [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty}b_{n} \neq l_{b}[/itex]. Contradiction.

Therefore, [itex]l_{a} = l_{b}[/itex].

---

Here's my question. I wasn't sure that I didn't make some logical leap along the way. Is my attempt correct? Did I manage to prove what I set out to prove? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks fine. I do have a couple of remarks on style though. First, call the limits ##a## and ##b##. Second, try to see if you can get a direct proof. Proofs by contradiction are perfectly fine, but when there is a very easy way to turn a proof by contradiction into a direct proof (and there is here), I've always been told that the direct proof is preferable. In this case, when you use my tips with the key part of your argument, you get $$b=\lim b_n=\lim\frac{1}{2}(a_n+b_n)=\frac{1}{2}(a+b)$$ and the desired result is a couple steps of elementary algebra away.

Again, though, your version works. It's just a little messier.

What is the arithmetic-geometric mean?

The arithmetic-geometric mean is a mathematical concept that represents the average of two numbers, where the first number is added to the second number and then divided by two, and the second number is multiplied by the square root of the first number. This mean is often used to find a balance between two numbers, as it takes into account both their magnitude and their distance from each other.

Why is it important to prove the existence of the arithmetic-geometric mean?

Proving the existence of the arithmetic-geometric mean is important because it provides a theoretical foundation for its use in various mathematical calculations. It also allows for a better understanding of its properties and applications in different fields of science and engineering.

What are the challenges in proving the existence of the arithmetic-geometric mean?

One of the main challenges in proving the existence of the arithmetic-geometric mean is that it involves the use of infinite series, which can be difficult to work with. Additionally, there are different approaches and methods that can be used to prove its existence, and each may have its own challenges and limitations.

What are some applications of the arithmetic-geometric mean?

The arithmetic-geometric mean has various applications in mathematics, physics, economics, and other fields. It is commonly used in optimization problems, where the goal is to find the best solution that balances multiple variables. It is also used in the calculation of statistical values, such as the standard deviation and mean absolute difference.

How is the existence of the arithmetic-geometric mean proven?

The existence of the arithmetic-geometric mean can be proven using different methods, such as the AM-GM inequality, the integral mean value theorem, and the Cauchy mean value theorem. These methods involve using various mathematical techniques, such as calculus and algebra, to show that the arithmetic-geometric mean exists and is a unique solution to certain equations.