Proving the Limit of sqrt(a(n)^2) = a^2

  • Thread starter Thread starter LMKIYHAQ
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
LMKIYHAQ
Messages
26
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I am trying to prove that given an[tex]\geq[/tex]0 for all n , and
lim(an=a), that lim(sqrt(a(n)^2))=a^2.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I have multiplied the bottom and top by the conjugate but I cannot find what to set as a lower bound for the absolute value of sqrt(an)+sqrt(a).

Please help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
LMKIYHAQ said:
I am trying to prove that given an[tex]\geq[/tex]0 for all n , and
lim(an=a), that lim(sqrt(a(n)^2))=a^2.
…
I have multiplied the bottom and top by the conjugate but I cannot find what to set as a lower bound for the absolute value of sqrt(an)+sqrt(a).

Hi LMKIYHAQ! :smile:

I don't get it … for an ≥ 0, sqrt(a(n)^2) = an, and so lim(sqrt(a(n)^2)) = a, doesn't it? :confused:
 
I agree with tiny-tim: whether you write it as

[tex] \lim_{n \to \infty} \sqrt{a_n^2}[/tex]

or

[tex] \lim_{n \to \infty} \sqrt{a_n}^2[/tex]

the limit certainly is not [tex]a^2[/tex].
 
Darn. I wrote the problem down wrong everybody. I am sorry, I hope you are all good enough s.t. you didn't spend much time thinking about that! I am sorry.

How do I delete a thread?

P.S. i meant lim(sqrt(a(n)))=a(n), and I figured it out.