Proving Triangle Angles Equation: cos^2 A + cos^2 B + cos^2 C + 2*cosA*cosB*cosC

  • Thread starter Thread starter ER901
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Angles Triangle
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
ER901
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I need to prove the following equation:
cos^2 A + cos^2 B + cos^2 C + 2*cosA*cosB*cosC = 1
where A,B,C are the angles of a triangle

Homework Equations


A+B+C = 180


The Attempt at a Solution


I substituted the sum of A,B,C into the equation, and now I have something like
... + cos^2(180-A-C)+... so on, but I don't know what to do next.

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physicsforums ER901!

How about using the Cosine rule to express the Cosines as functions of the sides? there's some messy algebra but it should work out fine.