1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving trigonometric equation?

1. Sep 20, 2007 #1
    for x between 0 and 2pie, solve cos(4x)=sin(2x)....

is this a proving trigonometric equation? i dont think it is

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2007 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is not a tautology, which you should be able to see if you expand cos(4x) in terms of sin(2x). The problem is find the value(s) of x between 0 and 2 pi for which the given expression is true.

4. Sep 20, 2007 #3
    so how do u do that algebraically

5. Sep 20, 2007 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I gave you a big hint in my first post. I'll repeat to make it blatantly obvious: Expand cos(4x) in terms of sin(2x).

6. Sep 20, 2007 #5
    i understand that,i'm not an idiot i'm just missing something very crucial to be able to determine the answer.

i dont know how to expand it into terms of sin, i have checked through my textbook i have looked everywhere. I know this is probably really easy but i'm missing that key concept which i can't figure out to be able to put cos in terms of sin

7. Sep 20, 2007 #6

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Start with cos(4x) = cos(2x+2x). Can you proceed from here?

8. Sep 20, 2007 #7
    ok i think that helped me realise the identity..

Cos(A+B)=CosACosB-sinAsinB
    cos(2x+2x)=cos2xcos2x-sin2xsin2x
    =2cos2x-2sin2x
    2cos2x-2sin2x=sin2x
    2cos2x=3sin2x
    2/3=tan2x?

right?

9. Sep 20, 2007 #8

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Good so far.
    You are saying the equivalent of [itex]u*u = 2*u[/tex], which is obviously incorrect.

10. Sep 20, 2007 #9
    Ok so this is what i have so far
    cos4x=sin2x
    cos(2x+2x)=sin2x
    cos^22x-sin^22x=sin2x

as far as i know, cos^2x+sin^2x=1, so when i have -sin^22x, i can't complete that property correct? or is it just -1

11. Sep 20, 2007 #10

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Use the identity [itex]\cos^2(2x)+\sin^2(2x) = 1[/itex] to eliminate the [itex]\cos^2(2x)[/itex] term: [itex]\cos^2(2x)-\sin^2(2x) = 1 - 2\sin^2(2x)[/itex]. Applying this to the original problem yields

[tex]1 - 2\sin^2(2x) = \sin(2x)[/tex]

which is a quadratic equation in [itex]\sin(2x)[/itex].

12. Sep 22, 2007 #11

Curious3141

Homework Helper

A more elementary solution would be to utilise the identity

[tex]\sin(\frac{\pi}{2} \pm y) = \cos y[/tex]

Since multiple angles are in play here, add 2n*pi to the argument, for integral n.

[tex]\sin(2n\pi + \frac{\pi}{2} \pm y) = \cos y[/tex]

giving [tex]\sin(\frac{1}{2}(4n + 1)\pi \pm y) = \cos y[/tex]

Now substitute that into the cosine expression in the LHS of the orig. equation (y = 4x), remove the sines on both sides, and you have a linear equation to solve. Simply list the multiple solutions in the required range by varying n (n can be zero, positive or negative). Don't have to worry about the plus/minus part too much, since all the solutions with one sign are included when solving for the other, but you need to establish this.

13. Sep 23, 2007 #12
    Furthering D H's help,

After subbing cos (4x) for 1- sin^2 (2x), make a substitution to form a simple quadratic equation which you can solve (ie. let sin 2x = u)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?