1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving trigonometric identities in a belt and pulley proble

1. Mar 20, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    verify that theta in L = piD + (d-D)theta + 2Csin(theta) is equal to arc-cosine [(D-d)/2C]

2. The attempt at a solution
    you can see my attempt in the second picture uploaded. i don't think i even got it right

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2016 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are close, but you put A to the wrong place, and c is not the hypotenuse of a right triangle in your picture.
    The line x (the connecting belt) makes a right angle with the radius of both circles, and you need to draw a parallel with it from the centre of the smaller circle. You get the yellow rectangle and the green right triangle. Find x and theta from that. Prove both formulas in the OP.
    upload_2016-3-21_6-52-44.png

4. Mar 21, 2016 #3
    wow! how did i not see that. thanks! 2(theta) equals to arccosine (D-d)/C right? so to further simplify... theta equals to arccosine[(D-d)/2C] did i got that right?

5. Mar 21, 2016 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, cos(θ)=(R-r)/c, that is arccos((D-d)/(2c))=θ. But you also have to prove the other formula, for the length of the belt.

6. Mar 22, 2016 #5
    one thing i learned is i really have to put all of my thoughts on paper to make things easier. thanks for the help i think i got! check the new image uploaded :)

Attached Files:

7. Mar 22, 2016 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is correct now. And you really need sketches. I am very old and have much experience, but still my first thing is to make a sketch before starting to solve a Physics or Geometry problem.

8. Mar 22, 2016 #7
    thank you a lot for responding to my thread! i will keep that in mind! :D best of luck

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted