Proving x^(1/3) is continuous.

• Thread starter luke8ball
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuous
In summary, the homework asks to show that x1/3 is continuous on all of ℝ. The student attempts to solve the problem, but runs into issues because the derivative of x1/3 is not continuous everywhere. They eventually find a lower bound for the denominator by massaging the derivative into |x-c|<δ. Furthermore, they show that c-1<x<1+c and so x=(1-c).
luke8ball

Homework Statement

Prove x^(1/3) is continuous on all of ℝ.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've essentially gotten everything to the following point:

[|x-c|/|x2/3 + (cx)1/3 + c2/3|]<ε

I'm having trouble coming up with a lower bound for the denominator. Any help?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Did it ask you to use the epsilon delta definition? Really?

Why don't you use the definition of the derivative to show that x1/3 is continuous everywhere?

First off, notice that x1/3 is continuous [itex]\forall x \in ℝ[/itex]

Now you want to show that its derivative, [itex]\frac{1}{3} x^{- \frac{2}{3}}[/itex] is also continuous [itex]\forall x \in ℝ[/itex].

Notice though, if you pick x = x0 and apply the definition of the derivative to x1/3, you will find that x1/3 has continuous derivatives everywhere except possibly the origin?

Now what happens when you apply the definition of the derivative on x1/3 for x = 0? Does your limit exist?

Thanks for your quick response! Unfortunately, we haven't gotten to the chapter on derivatives yet, and we're only allowed to use an epsilon-delta proof..

luke8ball said:
Thanks for your quick response! Unfortunately, we haven't gotten to the chapter on derivatives yet, and we're only allowed to use an epsilon-delta proof..

So then really what you want to show is :

[itex]\lim_{x→a} x^{\frac{1}{3}} = a^{\frac{1}{3}}[/itex]

So apply your definition :

[itex]\forall ε > 0, \exists δ > 0 \space | \space 0 < |x-a| < δ \Rightarrow |x^{\frac{1}{3}} - a^{\frac{1}{3}}| < ε[/itex]

Now start by massaging [itex]|x^{\frac{1}{3}} - a^{\frac{1}{3}}|[/itex] into [itex]|x-a| < δ[/itex]

Zondrina said:
So then really what you want to show is :

[itex]\lim_{x→a} x^{\frac{1}{3}} = a^{\frac{1}{3}}[/itex]

So apply your definition :

[itex]\forall ε > 0, \exists δ > 0 \space | \space 0 < |x-a| < δ \Rightarrow |x^{\frac{1}{3}} - a^{\frac{1}{3}}| < ε[/itex]

Now start by massaging [itex]|x^{\frac{1}{3}} - a^{\frac{1}{3}}|[/itex] into [itex]|x-a| < δ[/itex]

Sorry, I should've showed my earlier steps. I already started working on [itex]|x^{\frac{1}{3}} - c^{\frac{1}{3}}|[/itex].

From there, I multiplied the numerator and denominator to get to [|x-c|/|x2/3 + (cx)1/3 + c2/3|]<ε

Now I have my |x-c|, but I can't come up with a lower bound on the denominator. I've tried a bit of algebraic manipulation, but to no avail.

Ah I see, so. After you multiply by the conjugate you know that |x-c| < δ right? So that mess [|x-c|/|x2/3 + (cx)1/3 + c2/3|] < δ/|x2/3 + (cx)1/3 + c2/3|

( I'm assuming you've done your arithmetic correctly here, don't have time to check at the moment ).

Now you want to ask yourself, how big does :

|x2/3 + (cx)1/3 + c2/3| get?

Apply your triangle equality now.

I'm actually trying to see how small it gets. Hence, I need |x2/3 + (cx)1/3 + c2/3| to be greater than some fixed value.

Just so you know. It is ok to choose a two values of x near c to find this upper limit. After all, it is the only place of interest.

Do you mean going ahead and saying δ<1 (or some number) so that |x-c|<1, implying x>(1-c)?

I tried something of that sort but ran into some issues, because the bound still depended on the value of c.

Yes.

Let sigma be less than 1. The |x-c|<1.
Thus, c-1<x<1+c. So substitute for which ever x to minimize
|x^(2/3) + (cx)^(1/3) + c^(2/3)|.

Clearly, for c-1 substituted for x is a lower bound of that expression.

Continue from there and also note that I'm assuming the expression is correct.

1. What is the definition of continuity?

The definition of continuity is that a function is continuous at a point if the limit of the function at that point exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point.

2. How do you prove that x^(1/3) is continuous?

To prove that x^(1/3) is continuous, we need to show that the limit of the function as x approaches a certain point equals the value of the function at that point. This can be done by using the epsilon-delta definition of a limit and showing that for any small value of epsilon, we can find a corresponding delta that satisfies the limit condition.

3. Can you explain the concept of a one-sided limit?

A one-sided limit refers to the limit of a function as x approaches a certain point from one side (either the left or the right). This is different from a two-sided limit, which considers the behavior of the function as x approaches the point from both sides.

4. Why is it important to prove that x^(1/3) is continuous?

Proving that x^(1/3) is continuous is important because it allows us to use this function in mathematical calculations and analysis. It also helps us understand the behavior of this function and its relationship to other functions.

5. Are there any special cases where x^(1/3) may not be continuous?

Yes, there are special cases where x^(1/3) may not be continuous. For example, the function is not continuous at x=0 because the limit from the left and the limit from the right are not equal. Additionally, the function is not defined for negative values of x, so it is not continuous at those points.