Pseudoephedrine now a controlled substance in Oregon

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: I suppose the DEA could set a limit on the number of pseudoephedrine tablets a person could possess, but then again I'm doubtful that would be effective...) In summary, Ore. is trying to fight meth by putting cold drugs behind the counter and requiring prescriptions. This may or may not make a difference, but it will inconvenience many people.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Ore. to fight meth by putting cold drugs behind counter
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — Gov. Ted Kulongoski signed legislation Tuesday that will make Oregon the first state to require prescriptions for everyday cold and allergy medications that can be converted into methamphetamine. [continued]
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-08-16-oregon-meth_x.htm

I don't know if I find this more disappointing or frustrating. Here is the basic math as I understand things: Up to 20% of the methamphetamine in Oregon is produced by using drugs containing pseudoephedrine. But Kulongoski says that this could reduce the meth production by 50%. So, to me this stinks of a law passed in order to appear as though something is being done, when in fact it will probably make little difference in the end. But, now I can't run down and buy my allergy meds when I need them. And I do have a terrible time with allergies. My sister in Ca, a mother with three young kids, was outraged at the notion of this. From her point of view as a mother it is a terrible inconvenience.

I can recall various times where we had problems with all sorts of common agents - kids sniffing model glue, gasoline, and aerosols including paint and various household cleaning agents. I have heard of people eating rat poison, bath tub LSD, and people sniffing crank cut with battery acid.

We can't make every potentially dangerous chemical a controlled substance. And the medical profession doesn't need the additional burden. I understand the intent but I think the pseudo-solution signed into law is all wrong. This is a bandaid that reduces our liberties, albeit just a little, but it is a step in the wrong direction that does nothing to stop the problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't worry Ivan. I'll smuggle Sudafed across the border for ya! Maybe I can disguise them as chocolates.

(That law is really OTT.)

lol a tylenol cold and sinus black market...

Thankfully, only the most intelligent and cunning drug manufactorer will drive a few hours to california to buy some over the counter cold medicine.

My feelings are just the same Ivan. Most of the chemicals I hear used to make meth come from Mexico because of the quanitities produced. A few boxes of cold meds don't make enough of the drug for those selling it to be profitable. It is a weak attempt to gratify the media and public that "something is being done" about this drug problem...a little ironic considering that Oregon has some of the most lax laws concerning marijuana.

They need to be like the central valley over here in CA. Bust down doors, blow up factories, get sued.

What the hell? Making people fork out their money to see a doctor so he can scribble on some paper. Seriously what doctor is going to refuse this Rx? I want to know the tight ass that suggested this bull so I can personally kick him in the crotch.

People are just going to bring the stuff in from other states now. It isn't going to change a damn thing! How can people be so stupid! Argh! I can hardly contain myself and I don't even live in Oregon.

Math Is Hard said:
Don't worry Ivan. I'll smuggle Sudafed across the border for ya! Maybe I can disguise them as chocolates.

(That law is really OTT.)

You think you're joking huh? I plan to have a closet full of Nyquil before the law takes effect. The stuff is good for up to three years, and during the worst of the season it is the only thing that gives signficant relief - containing diphenhydramine hydrochloride, acetaminophen, and pseudoephidrine, it's perfect! But I can only buy three bottles at a time, so I bought three and will get three more with each trip to the store for awhile.

Last edited:
Entropy said:
People are just going to bring the stuff in from other states now. It isn't going to change a damn thing! How can people be so stupid! Argh! I can hardly contain myself and I don't even live in Oregon.

Thank you. :biggrin: I know, it drives me nuts!

Entropy said:

No it wont, these tumors tend to be isolated and proper medication will keep it in check... or we could fence of Oregon so no one gets out alive.

I hope your wrote your Congressman Ivan :D

I didn't open the link to the actual bill, but in debates I've heard so far, the proposal was to limit the quantity a person could purchase at anyone time. (Especially now, with the price of gas soaring upward, who would drive to 10 different drugstores to get the quantity needed? :eek: ) That way the legitimate cold/allergy sufferer could get a box without hassle. Is there any reason this more moderate approach couldn't be taken?

SOS2008 said:
I didn't open the link to the actual bill, but in debates I've heard so far, the proposal was to limit the quantity a person could purchase at anyone time. (Especially now, with the price of gas soaring upward, who would drive to 10 different drugstores to get the quantity needed? :eek: ) That way the legitimate cold/allergy sufferer could get a box without hassle. Is there any reason this more moderate approach couldn't be taken?

That is currently the law but they say it's not working.

Now what should that tell us? :rolleyes:

Ivan Seeking said:
You think you're joking huh? I plan to have a closet full of Nyquil before the law takes effect. The stuff is good for up to three years, and during the worst of the season it is the only thing that gives signficant relief - containing diphenhydramine hydrochloride, acetaminophen, and pseudoephidrine, it's perfect! But I can only buy three bottles at a time, so I bought three and will get three more with each trip to the store for awhile.
You'll probably get searched under some Patriot Act legislation and get busted for being a dealer for having more than the allowed amount on hand.

Convicted, you will then go to jail and develop a heroin addiction.

Geez! I understand putting it behind the counter so you have to sign a log with a pharmacist to get it, but to require a prescription is insane! I wouldn't want to have to run to a doctor every time I have a cold just so I can get an antihistamine. As if doctor's offices aren't crowded enough during cold and flu season; by the time you'll be able to get into the office, the cold will be over. Pseudophedrine is the only thing I can take that doesn't knock me out. Let's hope other states don't decide to follow OR's lead on that. That's just way over the top.

The Smoking Man said:
You'll probably get searched under some Patriot Act legislation and get busted for being a dealer for having more than the allowed amount on hand.

Convicted, you will then go to jail and develop a heroin addiction.
:rofl:

I admit, I was think of stocking up and selling supplies at a bit of a profit. But for you Ivan, I'll give a discount. :tongue: Oh wait a minute, will I be busted for shipping it to you? Well maybe I'll meet up with MIH and we'll smuggle it across the border...in exchange for BBQ of course. :biggrin:

Of course, Ivan, what are YOU complaining about? With Tsu working in a hospital, she can probably just ask any doc there to write a scrip for the stuff. They'll probably all be writing prescriptions for each other on something like this.

Requiring a perscription is pretty rediculous. Keeping it off the shelves probably isn't a bad idea though. I wouldn't put it past some druggies to run in a store and grab all they can off the shelf then split with it. Meth addicts are pretty crazy.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I wouldn't put it past some druggies to run in a store and grab all they can off the shelf then split with it. Meth addicts are pretty crazy.

Probably already do it anyhow

TheStatutoryApe said:
Requiring a perscription is pretty rediculous. Keeping it off the shelves probably isn't a bad idea though. I wouldn't put it past some druggies to run in a store and grab all they can off the shelf then split with it. Meth addicts are pretty crazy.
But wouldn't it being kept behind the counter be enough? Why a prescription?

Surely there will be a public outcry to overturn this nonsense? Seems like one good flu season ought to motivate people to do something.

I used to roll my eyes when I heard people speculate that the FDA would one day take our vitamins away. Heck, maybe they were on to something.

Evo said:

Or a locked display case?

TheStatutoryApe said:
Meth addicts are pretty crazy.
Damn ... I had to look twice ... I thought you said mAth addicts.

They just snort Chalk Dust.

Evo said:
I know, it's rediculous. Ofcourse since there was enough leverage to ban ephedra maybe they figure they can get away with treating it's derivatives as substances to be more worried about too.

---edit---
Damn ... I had to look twice ... I thought you said mAth addicts.

They just snort Chalk Dust.
:rofl:

TheStatutoryApe said:
That was happening. That was my understanding why the limit on the number of packages you could buy at a time wasn't enough, because the stuff was just being shoplifted. But that still doesn't mean it should require a prescription. If the meth labs can't shoplift it or get it from somewhere else, the next thing we'll be hearing about in the news are armed robberies of pharmacies for cold medicine.

Moonbear said:
That was happening. That was my understanding why the limit on the number of packages you could buy at a time wasn't enough, because the stuff was just being shoplifted. But that still doesn't mean it should require a prescription. If the meth labs can't shoplift it or get it from somewhere else, the next thing we'll be hearing about in the news are armed robberies of pharmacies for cold medicine.
The UK has a process where it is just behind the counter and you must ask for it.

You will be quizzed by the pharmacist and he CAN refuse to sell it to you based on what your responses are.

Kulongoski says he will run for a second term

SALEM, Ore. - The Oregonian newspaper is reporting that Governor Ted Kulongoski is planning to run for a second term.
http://www.katu.com/stories/79114.html

The stink is getting worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking said:
http://www.katu.com/stories/79114.html

The stink is getting worse.

So who are you voting for Ivan :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Pengwuino said:
So who are you voting for Ivan :rolleyes:

As if that makes a difference. :yuck:

Writeyour congressmen! Write the governor! Quit being lazy :D

Pengwuino said:
Are you mocking me? :tongue:

Pengwuino said:

I have in the past and I will again. I have also volunteered for two presidential campaigns and collected thousands of signatures by going door to door. In addition to years working for the Dems as a kid, Tsu has spent many hours at Democratic headquarters making phone calls. What have you done? :wink:

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
What have you done? :wink:

Hey i can still buy Nyquil, what do i have to complain about :smile:

My job in past elections was to let people vote and show them how easy filling in bubbles can be (elections inspector and grunt techincal positions)! Rather not waste my time on door-to-dooring party lines. At some point I am sure ill get words mixed up with all the repetativeness. "Hello, Did you know that Democrat Congressman Ten Commandments has been wanting to veto diane tax payer dollars to feinstein justice! Please petition this sign with a support to show pen!".

Last edited:
The Smoking Man said:
The UK has a process where it is just behind the counter and you must ask for it.

You will be quizzed by the pharmacist and he CAN refuse to sell it to you based on what your responses are.
That seems to be the ideal system. Here, many states are adopting the policy of having it behind the counter, but I don't think there's any way to refuse it other than if you ask for more than the limit you're allowed to buy. I don't know if that part is necessary, but I'm thinking of the converse that maybe you've exceeded your limit because you're doing the shopping for an entire household of sick people and the pharmacist knows this so can opt to override the rules and give you an extra package for that month, especially if you're standing there with a handful of tissues looking obviously sniffly-sneezy-coughy-achy-stuffy-head-fevery. I'm just imagining the trouble I'd have been in as a teenager when after my father's funeral, everyone came down with the same bug except me (someone must have shown up to the funeral sick and spread it to nearly everyone), so quite a few bottles of NyQuil were purchased in one visit to the drugstore...one for mom and my sister, another for my grandparents, two more for two of my aunts... sometimes weird things like that happen, and it would be nice if a pharmacist could inquire and decide you were making the purchase for legitimate reasons.

Moonbear said:
That seems to be the ideal system. Here, many states are adopting the policy of having it behind the counter, but I don't think there's any way to refuse it other than if you ask for more than the limit you're allowed to buy. I don't know if that part is necessary, but I'm thinking of the converse that maybe you've exceeded your limit because you're doing the shopping for an entire household of sick people and the pharmacist knows this so can opt to override the rules and give you an extra package for that month, especially if you're standing there with a handful of tissues looking obviously sniffly-sneezy-coughy-achy-stuffy-head-fevery. I'm just imagining the trouble I'd have been in as a teenager when after my father's funeral, everyone came down with the same bug except me (someone must have shown up to the funeral sick and spread it to nearly everyone), so quite a few bottles of NyQuil were purchased in one visit to the drugstore...one for mom and my sister, another for my grandparents, two more for two of my aunts... sometimes weird things like that happen, and it would be nice if a pharmacist could inquire and decide you were making the purchase for legitimate reasons.
It seems they like to err on the side of fascism.

A problem I have with this is that the peoeple most often hit by this will be the working poor.

Now they have to make a doctor's visit to get a prescription for a cold/allergy medicine?

Time off work and ... if they don't have a medical plan ... that bottle of medicine just went from a few bucks to the cost of a doctor's visit.

And ... what if you don't HAVE a family doctor? ... Hospital? Free clinics?

So now meth manufacturers have to prescription shop just like Limbaugh at all the free clinics?

Thank heavens I know Chinese cures and a bit about herbology.

Take a trip to Chinatown, those of you that can.

There is a medicine called Pei Pa Jiao in an Orange Box with a red lable. It's basis is Loquat syrop which is excellent for chest congestion plus it does not make you drowsey.

It does open up the chest if that is what your problem is.

Other than that, you may want to ask the locals in the China town medicine shops for what they recommend ... or even visit the chinese doctor. The remedy may taste like turps with a hint of vinegre but it WILL work.

The Smoking Man said:
It seems they like to err on the side of fascism.

A problem I have with this is that the peoeple most often hit by this will be the working poor.

Now they have to make a doctor's visit to get a prescription for a cold/allergy medicine?

Time off work and ... if they don't have a medical plan ... that bottle of medicine just went from a few bucks to the cost of a doctor's visit.
I don't think it's just going to be them with a problem (it's also not going to kill you to not have cold medicine for a cold...it does only alleviate symptoms, not cure the illness). I'm hardly working poor, but the reason I want cold medicine when I have a cold is that I don't have time to waste being slowed down with a cold, which means I don't have time to go see a doctor either. Also, if I have a cold, the last thing I want to do is sit in a waiting room full of flu patients and contract the flu from them. I go out of my way to avoid scheduling doctor's appointments during cold and flu season.

And ... what if you don't HAVE a family doctor? ... Hospital? Free clinics?

So now meth manufacturers have to prescription shop just like Limbaugh at all the free clinics?
I'm sure that's going to be the real outcome, they'll find ways around the system to get prescriptions illegally or will just steal them, etc.

Thank heavens I know Chinese cures and a bit about herbology.
No thanks, I'll stick to medicines that are tested for safety, efficacy, and have quality control regulations to comply with.