Pulley Physics Help: Solve Force to Move Boxes

In summary, the problem involves a man pulling two boxes connected by a pulley against different coefficients of friction. The equations given by the teacher include Ffs=Ms*Fn and Ffk=Mk*Fn, where Ffs and Ffk are static and kinetic friction, Fn is normal force, and M represents mass. The force of friction is equal to the friction coefficient multiplied by the normal force. The normal force can be found by balancing the downward force of the boxes with the force of the table on the boxes.
davo

Homework Statement

ok so box 1 (5kg) is ontop of box 2 (10kg) and this guy has to pull the box with an unknown force, but the boxes are on a pulley conected to a wall (not a celling).
The coefficient of static friction between the box and the floor is .9. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the floor is .7. The coefficient of static friction between the boxes is .7. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the boxes is .5. (2 points)

Homework Equations

Last week in class my teacher gave us all some equations.
Ffs=Ms*Fn
Ffk=Mk*Fn
Where Ffs and Ffk is friction do to static and kanetic, Fn is friction normal.
but i don't rember what M is, is it somthing as simple as mass?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

so I am kinda going off of what i think but am sure its not the correct way to solve it. Friction can be a deseleration and to find force you do F=MA. so for each box moving in a given direction with friction their is a force acting in the opposet direction, so i put 2.5N for box1 and 7N for box2.

o also our teacher said that the rope is massless and has no friction between the pullie thingy.

If F is the force of friction and N is the normal force, then [tex] F = \mu N [/tex], where the constant [tex] \mu [/tex] is the friction coefficient.

Learn to love to read your textbook.

yea but i don't have the normal force. the force of both of the boxes down ward is 147N but that's down wards. how do i find the normal force, and in what dirrection

is the norml force equal to the mass times gravity?

If a box on a table is not accelerating vertically, the normal force is the force of the table on the box that cancels the net downward force on the box (excluding N). Otherwise, the box would accelerate vertically, wouldn't it?

1. What is a pulley and how does it work?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a grooved wheel and a rope or cable. It works by changing the direction of the force needed to lift or move an object. When a rope is wrapped around the wheel of a pulley, it allows you to pull down on one end of the rope to lift an object up on the other end.

2. How does a pulley affect the amount of force needed to move a box?

A pulley can reduce the amount of force needed to move a box by distributing the weight of the object over multiple ropes and wheels. This allows you to lift a heavier object with less effort, as the weight is distributed evenly among the ropes and pulleys.

3. What is the relationship between the number of pulleys and the force needed to move a box?

The more pulleys that are used, the less force is required to move a box. This is because each additional pulley decreases the amount of force needed by a factor of the number of ropes attached to it. For example, using two pulleys will halve the amount of force needed, and using three pulleys will reduce it to one-third of the original force.

4. How does the direction of the pull affect the force needed to move a box using a pulley?

The direction of the pull does not affect the amount of force needed to move a box using a pulley. However, the direction of the pull does determine the direction in which the box will move. For example, pulling down on a rope attached to a pulley will lift the box up, while pulling up on the rope will lower the box down.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the force needed to move a box using a pulley?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the force needed to move a box using a pulley, such as the weight of the box, the friction between the box and the surface it is resting on, and the amount of friction in the pulley system itself. These factors may require additional calculations to determine the exact amount of force needed to move the box.