Find tension force on 2 boxes on a ramp

In summary: The force of the pull on the boxes?The force of the gravity component acting parallel to the plane?the direction of motion of the boxes?the direction of the friction force?
Johnson1704

Homework Statement

You are lowering two boxes, one on top of the other, down the ramp shown in the figure (Figure 1) by pulling on a rope parallel to the surface of the ramp. Both boxes move together at a constant speed of 19.0 cm/s . The coefficient of kinetic friction between the ramp and the lower box is 0.457, and the coefficient of static friction between the two boxes is 0.818.

2. Questions

A What force do you need to exert to accomplish this?
B What is the magnitude of the friction force on the upper box?

3. Relevant equations

X forces: Fpull - Ffr - Fg*sin(theta) = 0
Y forces: Fn - Fg*cos(theta) = 0
Ffr = mu_k * Fn

The Attempt at a Solution

(A)[/B]
I found theta to be 27.76
Ffr = mu_k * [Fg*cos(theta)]
Ffr = 317.0513 N
Fpull = Ffr + Fg*sin(theta) = 6782.214 N

The solutions I've seen on this forum say to use -Fgsin(theta) but i don't see why it would be negative. I've checked my work so many times

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bump

please brahs, it's been a solid 2 hours I've been on this problem

in what direction is:
the force of the pull on the boxes?
the force of the gravity component acting parallel to the plane?
the direction of motion of the boxes?
the direction of the friction force?Show how you are arriving at these numbers step by step.

Johnson1704 said:

Homework Statement

You are lowering two boxes, one on top of the other, down the ramp shown in the figure (Figure 1) by pulling on a rope parallel to the surface of the ramp. Both boxes move together at a constant speed of 19.0 cm/s . The coefficient of kinetic friction between the ramp and the lower box is 0.457, and the coefficient of static friction between the two boxes is 0.818.

2. Questions

A What force do you need to exert to accomplish this?
B What is the magnitude of the friction force on the upper box?

3. Relevant equations

X forces: Fpull - Ffr - Fg*sin(theta) = 0
Y forces: Fn - Fg*cos(theta) = 0
Ffr = mu_k * Fn

The Attempt at a Solution

(A)[/B]
I found theta to be 27.76
Ffr = mu_k * [Fg*cos(theta)]
Ffr = 317.0513 N
Fpull = Ffr + Fg*sin(theta) = 6782.214 N

The solutions I've seen on this forum say to use -Fgsin(theta) but i don't see why it would be negative. I've checked my work so many times
You did not attach the figure, so you need to describe the set up in more detail. "Lowering" suggests you are pulling up the ramp, parallel to it perhaps, to prevent the boxes accelerating down. Or maybe the rope is vertical?
You say you found the slope to be 27.76 degrees - based on what?

haruspex said:
You did not attach the figure, so you need to describe the set up in more detail. "Lowering" suggests you are pulling up the ramp, parallel to it perhaps, to prevent the boxes accelerating down. Or maybe the rope is vertical?
You say you found the slope to be 27.76 degrees - based on what?
I figured it out about 30 mins after I posted and deleted the attachment and was going to delete the post but couldn't figure it out. Thanks though!

1. How is tension force calculated on 2 boxes on a ramp?

The tension force on 2 boxes on a ramp can be calculated using the formula T = m(g + a), where T is the tension force, m is the mass of the boxes, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the boxes down the ramp.

2. Do the weights of the boxes affect the tension force?

Yes, the weights of the boxes do affect the tension force. The tension force is directly proportional to the mass of the boxes, so the heavier the boxes, the greater the tension force.

3. How does the angle of the ramp affect the tension force?

The angle of the ramp can affect the tension force in two ways. First, a steeper angle will result in a greater acceleration of the boxes down the ramp, leading to a larger tension force. Second, a steeper angle may cause the boxes to slide down the ramp instead of rolling, which can also affect the tension force.

4. Is the tension force the same for both boxes on the ramp?

No, the tension force may not be the same for both boxes on the ramp. This depends on the masses of the boxes, their positions on the ramp, and the angle of the ramp. In some cases, the tension force may be equal, but in others, it may be different.

5. Can the tension force ever be negative?

No, the tension force can never be negative. Since tension force is a pulling force, it is always directed away from the boxes and cannot be negative. However, the direction of the tension force may change depending on the motion of the boxes on the ramp.