1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pulley Small or Large for a Motor

1. Mar 31, 2012 #1
    A motor cant lift a pale of water for given diameter of pulley. (consider the motor directly connected to the pulley). So, the diameter of the pulley should be Increased or decreased? Why?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi surajzakaas! welcome to pf! :wink:

tell us what you think, and then we'll comment! :smile:

4. Mar 31, 2012 #3
    i thought the dia. should increase. but a friend said the dia should be reduced as the torque is constant. but i am unable to digest it.

5. Apr 1, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi surajzakaas! :smile:
    the torque from the motor is constant, but that isn't the same as the torque on the pulley …

it's easier if we say that the maximum tension in the rope is fixed …

what is your opinion then, and why?? :wink:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  6. Apr 1, 2012 #5
    if max tension is fixed then reducing dia will reduce the torque on pulley and vice versa. and as motor cant lift up the mass the torque given by motor is less. so i guess reducing the pulley dia will work. but how will that work practically i dont know.
    still the first solution that comes to my mind is to increase the dia. I dont know why!

7. Apr 1, 2012 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

reading the question again, i'm not sure i've understood it correctly :confused:

is the other end of the rope holding the pail attached to the motor,

or is the rope just attached to the pulley, with the motor directly turning the axle of the pulley?

(if it's the latter, my previous comment about the tension in the rope was wrong :redface:)

8. Apr 1, 2012 #7
    the rope is just attached to the pulley, with the motor directly turning the axle of the pulley.

9. Apr 1, 2012 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ah, so the driving torque τ on the pulley is constant :redface:

ok, the force mg needed to lift the pail is the the same as the force from the rope on the pulley

if the initial radius is r, then the inability of the motor to raise the pail can be written as the inequality τ < … ?

and so r needs to be …creased ? :wink:

10. Apr 1, 2012 #9
    decreased.

11. Apr 2, 2012 #10

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook