Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pulling or pushing a piston slowly - Heat transferred?

1. Dec 6, 2008 #1
    i know if you push or pull a piston QUICKLY, no heat is transferred (adiabatic process).

But what if you push or pull a piston slowly? would heat be transferred in or out if you Push slowly? Pull slowly?

why?

thanks. i can't find the answer in my book, they just talk about the Quickly case.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2008 #2

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor

1. May i assume you are asking about the typical piston with compression rings? 2. would you like non Physics degree guys input on this matter or prefer to keep it in the degreed realm. answer will not offend, just do not want to waste your time

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  4. Dec 8, 2008 #3
    Most psysics books will only talk about 2 cases, the adiabatic case, where you move the piston so quickly that no heat is transferred or the isothermal case where the piston is moved so slowly that the temperature stays equal to the surroundings.

Anything in between means the heat capacity and heat conduction of the cylinder becomes important and the problem will become much more complicated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?